Lunar Lander game in LabVIEW

Hi Guys!

I am new the forums... and this is my first post!

For fun I am rewriting Lunar Lander in LabVIEW... do you guys know vector based games out there?

I am trying to emulate a game engine similar to what I have dabbled with on the XBOX (Loops below run async with eachother (I think)).

• User input loop
  • Physics Calculation Loop
  • Screen update Loop

I have quite a bit done but I wasn't exactly sure what properties I needed to have for everything so I keep adding stuff and breaking stuff... But I have a lander with thrust & rotation, gravity and basic collision detection. I realize now I need a state machine that handles Pre game, In Game, Game Over and Post game...

I am having fun but need two week breaks after realizing the architechure needs tweeking!

I was curious what approaches you have seen!

-TheKackler

• Like 1

(I see that i have posted this in the wrong area... :o Oh well... one's first post seldom goes swimingly)

@Michael: Do you have a link to LAVA CR etiquite? My code is deep in development and has some horrific syntax and improperly named VIs and controls. Is "unreleasable" code ok to release to CR? :) I assume it is easy enough to "upRev" when available. Some have suggested I Blog about my Lunar Lander antics but I'm not sure it is blog worthy... maybe worthy of a thread here? dunno...

I am interested in having my code critiqued but I'm afraid the easy ugly gets in the way.

@Yair: Thanks! I saw the asteroids. I've seen that before but now that i have gotten this far i would like to see how they did rotation and colision detection!

-TK

Edited by TheKackler
  • Like 1

For fun I am rewriting Lunar Lander in LabVIEW... do you guys know vector based games out there?

I am trying to emulate a game engine similar to what I have dabbled with on the XBOX (Loops below run async with eachother (I think)).

• User input loop
  • Physics Calculation Loop
  • Screen update Loop

I have quite a bit done but I wasn't exactly sure what properties I needed to have for everything so I keep adding stuff and breaking stuff... But I have a lander with thrust & rotation, gravity and basic collision detection. I realize now I need a state machine that handles Pre game, In Game, Game Over and Post game...

I am having fun but need two week breaks after realizing the architechure needs tweeking!

I was curious what approaches you have seen!

-TheKackler

Just by coincidence I'm reading now about Apollo Lunar Module from the control point of view and I'm loosely thinking about implementing its simplified model using lvODE (for physics and collision detection).

Here are some interesting details regarding engines, sensors and controls used in module:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov..._2009014419.pdf

http://ntrs.nasa.gov..._2009014409.pdf

Most important parameters for simulation are specified here.

Some time ago I tried the Apollo add-on for Orbiter (free realistic space sim), but it is very hard to use (even to understand all the details). Here is a movie from LM landing made with Orbiter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegm21k7ck0

And here is another interesting approach...

Regarding the place for showing the game: there is a Code In-Development section on LAVA, which is good for posting a code to be reviewed by others.

@Michael: Do you have a link to LAVA CR etiquite? My code is deep in development and has some horrific syntax and improperly named VIs and controls. Is "unreleasable" code ok to release to CR? :) I assume it is easy enough to "upRev" when available. Some have suggested I Blog about my Lunar Lander antics but I'm not sure it is blog worthy... maybe worthy of a thread here? dunno...

I am interested in having my code critiqued but I'm afraid the easy ugly gets in the way.

I just want to see it. You can just attach it to the current thread as a zip file. Whatever you have.

Edit: I just moved this thread to a different subforum.