Why does it take so long for LV to respond after dropping a VI?

I'm using LV2010 on Windows XP (although I saw the same thing with LV2009). It takes at least 10 seconds after I drop a VI (and other things too) on my diagram before I can do anything else in LV. Is there some setting that will fix that. Is it maybe recompling every time? This is getting really old.

George

I gave up on LV2010. Tried converting a large LV8.5 project to LV10 and it was so slow it was unusable! :throwpc: Saving a VI after a simple change usually took about 30 seconds. I even tried turning off the separate compile files option but still pretty bad. I managed to create the exe of the project and it seems to take a lot longer to load even though it's supposed to execute up to 20% faster. I had to go back to 8.5 after wasting a lot of time due to time constraints.

Bruce

I'm using LV2010 on Windows XP (although I saw the same thing with LV2009). It takes at least 10 seconds after I drop a VI (and other things too) on my diagram before I can do anything else in LV.

Same thing happens to me, though only for a fraction of a second. I'll drop something, wire nodes, or generally do anything that affects code and the IDE will hang for maybe 100 ms. My guess it's recompiling? Irritating. Happens on all three of my development systems, both in XP and Win7.

I have been working in 2010 for the last two months, but full time as of late. In the IDE I have not noticed a slow down when things do edit-time compiles. But I am using a 3GHz i7 with SSD so I may be biased. I have seen terrible IDE performance in 2009 (launching, opening dialogs - esp app installer) that was made faster by re-imaging PC.

OOI: AQ told me last year that NI have found the location of the installation on the HDD can affect performance and had an active test rig setup for this.

I have had more dramas with edit-time compiling on FPGA. But again I have heard that NI have been working on this too ;)

I gave up on LV2010. Tried converting a large LV8.5 project to LV10 and it was so slow it was unusable! :throwpc: Saving a VI after a simple change usually took about 30 seconds. I even tried turning off the separate compile files option but still pretty bad. I managed to create the exe of the project and it seems to take a lot longer to load even though it's supposed to execute up to 20% faster. I had to go back to 8.5 after wasting a lot of time due to time constraints.

Bruce

I have noticed that if I do a Find operation in the LabVIEW Project, and the project is large, then any change makes LabVIEW unresponsive for 30-120 seconds, and the Z-order of the open windows is shuffled around. This does not include "Find and Replace" (ctrl-F in a VI) or "Find All Instances (right-clicking on an icon) but does include "Find in Project" (Crtl-F in an open project) or "This VI in Project" (Ctrl-shift-E) in a VI. If I close LV and reopen it, the problem goes away until I use the Find function again (which I have learned not to do). It does not always happen, but if many windows are open, it is more likely to occur.

I don't have a CAR # for this, because I can't always reproduce it.

Bruce, does this match anything you experienced?

I'm using LV2010 on Windows XP (although I saw the same thing with LV2009). It takes at least 10 seconds after I drop a VI (and other things too) on my diagram before I can do anything else in LV. Is there some setting that will fix that. Is it maybe recompling every time? This is getting really old.

George

George,

Are you having the Project Window opened?

If so, try to open the VI direct without the project, does this speed up the performace?

There was a bug NI fixed in 2010 to solve this, but I'm not sure it solved all Slow Editing issues.

Cheers,

Mikael

George

I found a mass compile of the Labview directory sorted out most of this problem in 2009 and, generally, the 32bit to be a complete slug compared to the 64 bit - on a 64 bit machine.

Mass compile doesn't do anything for 2010. It's still a slug on valium.

I have noticed that if I do a Find operation in the LabVIEW Project, and the project is large, then any change makes LabVIEW unresponsive for 30-120 seconds, and the Z-order of the open windows is shuffled around. This does not include "Find and Replace" (ctrl-F in a VI) or "Find All Instances (right-clicking on an icon) but does include "Find in Project" (Crtl-F in an open project) or "This VI in Project" (Ctrl-shift-E) in a VI. If I close LV and reopen it, the problem goes away until I use the Find function again (which I have learned not to do). It does not always happen, but if many windows are open, it is more likely to occur.

HI

I am working now full time with LabVIEW 2010 on XP and I have found the Find operation (not from the Project, but just from the IDE) a great deal faster than in my previous version LabVIEW 8.2.1. We all had the problem you described with 8.2.1, but not with 2010. I did find the Beta 2010 very slow and unresponsive and I felt the original release was poor but after installing the f2 patch, I am very pleased with 2010.

We are working with about 1500 - 2000 VI project with source & compile code separated. The only slow part is the original load of the code, I tend to clean out the cache each morning, then load up the top level and wait for that first time consuming compiling stage but after that, it is OK for me.

I will say that I never run will the LabVIEW project explorer open, I really provides nothing for me (I know that a whole other thread), we only use the Project explorer when we do a build and that is automated just to use the Project Explorer configuration.

cheers

Dannyt

I will say that I never run will the LabVIEW project explorer open, I really provides nothing for me

Off the top of my head I can think of a few reasons I like to (or have to) use Projects:

• Individual application instances (avoiding collisions)
  • Working on targets e.g. Real Time and FPGA - I don't think there is any way around that
  • You need to deploy Shared Variables from a Project, you can't do it just from the Library
  • Creating Libraries/Classes/X-Controls
  • Configuring Inheritance

So I am the opposite, I rarely don't use them (by choice or otherwise)

• Like 1

George,

Are you having the Project Window opened?

If so, try to open the VI direct without the project, does this speed up the performace?

There was a bug NI fixed in 2010 to solve this, but I'm not sure it solved all Slow Editing issues.

Cheers,

Mikael

I always work withing a project. Since I often have two projects opened this is the only way to go.

I tried a large VI without loading the project and editing seemed fine. So I opened the project and edited the same VI. The response time was about the same. This makes me wonder if it's some kind of system issue. My memory usage was about where it normally is so that probably isn't the cause.

George

Likewise. Long live the projects. Another reason I use them is the virtual organization of my project items is usually different than their physical location on disk. As George mentioned, I'll sometimes have multiple projects open as well, which would cause problems for VIs common between the projects otherwise. I also don't think you can manage distributions without projects, though I've honestly not tried outside of a project. If the project explorer is to blame, abandoning it is not an option with my workflow habits.

After upgrading once I saw similar slow down problems, and tracked it down to my LabVIEW Data directory defaulting to a network location, moving it to a local location mitigated all the issues. This doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue now though.

As for system depen

After upgrading once I saw similar slow down problems, and tracked it down to my LabVIEW Data directory defaulting to a network location, moving it to a local location mitigated all the issues. This doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue now though.

As for system depen

What happened? Did you fall asleep while typing? :blink:

I'm confused. First you said moving the data directory helped, but now it's bad again. What happened?

George

LOL, no, just incrementally losing a bit of my sanity each day.

What I meant is with previous upgrades of LabVIEW (2009, etc), I saw an issue that was traced back to a networked data directory. Making the data local solved all problems for these versions. But with 2010, the slow down does not seem to be related to that, even with my data directory being local, I still often see a short jitter each time I drop something on the diagram.

I'll comment that it is not happening right now though, maybe it overheard me talking about it? I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but I think it has to do with the instability of the 2010 IDE. Maybe it gets worse with time, I don't know? Often times the jitter is a preface to a crash...

I'm not sure what causes the saving of VIs to take a long time and I'm not usually aware of my exact sequence of events before the problems occurs. I did try to find in the project and it does take about 30 seconds to find a VI but I didn't notice a save problem afterwards, just that the find is very slow.

Actually, with a little more investigation, my statement above is wrong and that if I change any logic on the diagram the save takes about 20 seconds. I didn't notice a delay earlier because I was just moving objects on the diagram, which doesn't cause a recompile. If I change the logic, I don't even have to do a find in order to cause the slowness problem.

Bruce

Edited by bmoyer

I will say that I never run will the LabVIEW project explorer open, I really provides nothing for me (I know that a whole other thread), we only use the Project explorer when we do a build and that is automated just to use the Project Explorer configuration.

You should start looking into OO programming :-)

Are you using the integrated SCC-interface?

If your interface is slow (and it can be slow partly caused by LabVIEW) it can hog LabVIEW.

Ton

I do use the SCC with LabVIEW (Visual Source Safe). What do I have to do, disable integrated SCC in LabVIEW? It seems that there are so many don't do this or don't do that (don't have the project open, don't use 32-bit PCs, don't use the Find feature, etc.) in order to have LV2010 work properly.

Bruce

I do use the SCC with LabVIEW (Visual Source Safe). What do I have to do, disable integrated SCC in LabVIEW? It seems that there are so many don't do this or don't do that (don't have the project open, don't use 32-bit PCs, don't use the Find feature, etc.) in order to have LV2010 work properly.

Bruce

What I have seen is that LabVIEW is requesting every VI one by one at the SCC portal followed by a burst were all the VIs are checked again...

Strange, but that could harm the speed of your LabVIEW. But mostly I have seen this when opening a VI with a lot of dependencies in user.lib.

Ton

I've seen this delay before, but not LV2010. I've seen this in LV2009. It happened only in one project of mine. I tried several things to debug it and came to the conclusion that it was due to the complexity of the VIs and not the entire project. Editing some VIs was faster than others.

Here's a video showing this:

<object id="scPlayer" width="375" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://content.screencast.com/users/Michael_Aivaliotis/folders/Hidden/media/3ad6b147-09ef-4725-aaf6-610d3485d736/jingswfplayer.swf"> <param name="movie" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/Michael_Aivaliotis/folders/Hidden/media/3ad6b147-09ef-4725-aaf6-610d3485d736/jingswfplayer.swf"> <param name="quality" value="high"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"> <param name="flashVars" value="thumb=http://content.screencast.com/users/Michael_Aivaliotis/folders/Hidden/media/3ad6b147-09ef-4725-aaf6-610d3485d736/FirstFrame.jpg&containerwidth=375&containerheight=268&content=http://content.screencast.com/users/Michael_Aivaliotis/folders/Hidden/media/3ad6b147-09ef-4725-aaf6-610d3485d736/00000023.swf&blurover=false"> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> <param name="scale" value="showall"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"> <param name="base" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/Michael_Aivaliotis/folders/Hidden/media/3ad6b147-09ef-4725-aaf6-610d3485d736/"> Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required. </object>

Bruce

I don't know what all you guys are talking about. All of this feels like superstition. Don't walk under a ladder or else you get bad luck. Gimme a break.