Set "treat read-only VIs as locked" to true as default

crelf

I posted an idea over on the LabVIEW Idea Exchange titled "Set "tread read-only VIs as locked" to true as default" - reminding us not to edit a VI if it's read-only (you can, of course, still change to edit mode with a ctrl+m, but that's explicit). This is especially important when using the needs-lock property with non-integrated SCC products (like SVN). This also discourages the bad habit of only getting an SCC lock on a file when you're done editing and are saving it (I've seen ppl do this from the "Save" dialog :angry: ). I'd appreciate a few extra votes over there.

Hi Crelf,

(Cross post to idea exchange)

Sorry but representing a team who work with a SCC that is integrated with LabVIEW I would not like this change to happen, the default is just as I am my team want it. I would think this is a no-win suggestion in a way because as many people would like this one way as the other .

Dannyt

Sorry but representing a team who work with a SCC that is integrated with LabVIEW I would not like this change to happen, the default is just as I am my team want it.

(Continuing the Cross Posting)

Forget I mentioned SCC, as this really isn't a SCC issue. In general, ask yourself this question: should you be able to edit a read only file without explicitly setting it to edit mode? I think the answer is no.

(Continuing the Cross Posting)

In general, ask yourself this question: should you be able to edit a read only file without explicitly setting it to edit mode? I think the answer is no.

In general I agree with you. However, LV disallows more than just editing when a vi is locked. I can't copy-and-paste code or controls from a locked vi to the vi I'm working on. I can't right-click >> Find All Instances of a locked vi. (That one really irritates me.) Personally I enable those options on my dev computers, but I think it's a tougher sell to make it a default setting.

• Like 1
In general I agree with you. However, LV disallows more than just editing when a vi is locked. I can't copy-and-paste code or controls from a locked vi to the vi I'm working on. I can't right-click >> Find All Instances of a locked vi.

Two excellent ideas, but I think they're out of the scope of the idea I'm suggesting. That said, I think what you're saying is important, so I've created Allow copying of FP and BD elements from locked VIs (that one really irks me too) and Allow "Find All Instances" on a locked VI.

In general I agree with you. However, LV disallows more than just editing when a vi is locked. I can't copy-and-paste code or controls from a locked vi to the vi I'm working on. I can't right-click >> Find All Instances of a locked vi. (That one really irritates me.) Personally I enable those options on my dev computers, but I think it's a tougher sell to make it a default setting.

I agree with you too! Why can't we prevent editing (changing the code) but allow copying and find all instances etc?

Well looks like I need to go with the flow then.

<br><br>What about the situation where you intentionally start with a read only file, then edit it, in order to do a save as when you have finished with it. 

I often will start a new file both in LabVIEW & text code that way.<br><br>Dannyt