DAQ Delay

theoneandonlyjim

I'm running into a synchronization issue with an SCXI-1112 in an SCXI-1000 frame. Irregularly (every 10 to 15 reads), the read takes roughly 10x longer than the majority of the reads. This slows the rest of that case down, which drops data. I've tried various sample sizes, changing my loop delay, and adding "DAQ Control Task" in my initialization to set the task into "Commit". What else might I try to polish the edges so it doesn't stick any more? I've attached pictures of the relevant code.

post-17061-0-86090400-1297630639_thumb.j

Some things I noticed:

1. The only flow control on that loop is waiting for the read. You could use an event structure and a DAQmx event to potentially improve your response. A good one to use is EveryNSamplesAcqIntoBuffer.

2. You are doing some unknown amount of processing in that state. You might try using a producer/consumer architecture so that the processing and database access don't potentially slow your loop down.

3. What is that DataQ and what is putting data in there? That state won't run if the queue is empty.

4. You have the task set up for 100 samples per channel, yet your read is for 1 sample per channel.

Try checking some of those things. If you narrow down the delay to the actual DAQ read, then I think a call to NI would be a good bet. There are cases where the hardware acts weird, but you have to eliminate the software first.

I'm running into a synchronization issue with an SCXI-1112 in an SCXI-1000 frame. Irregularly (every 10 to 15 reads), the read takes roughly 10x longer than the majority of the reads. This slows the rest of that case down, which drops data. I've tried various sample sizes, changing my loop delay, and adding "DAQ Control Task" in my initialization to set the task into "Commit". What else might I try to polish the edges so it doesn't stick any more? I've attached pictures of the relevant code.

Are you using Legacy DAQ somewhere else in your code?

I had code that mixed DAQ and DAQmx and saw a similar behavior to what you are seeing. NI confirmed this was caused by Legacy DAQ.

Some things I noticed:

1. The only flow control on that loop is waiting for the read. You could use an event structure and a DAQmx event to potentially improve your response. A good one to use is EveryNSamplesAcqIntoBuffer.

2. You are doing some unknown amount of processing in that state. You might try using a producer/consumer architecture so that the processing and database access don't potentially slow your loop down.

3. What is that DataQ and what is putting data in there? That state won't run if the queue is empty.

4. You have the task set up for 100 samples per channel, yet your read is for 1 sample per channel.

Try checking some of those things. If you narrow down the delay to the actual DAQ read, then I think a call to NI would be a good bet. There are cases where the hardware acts weird, but you have to eliminate the software first.

Are you using Legacy DAQ somewhere else in your code?

I had code that mixed DAQ and DAQmx and saw a similar behavior to what you are seeing. NI confirmed this was caused by Legacy DAQ.

I only need temp at that specific point in the loop, so I was trying to economize with my loops. I didn't think I needed to monitor T throughout and pick off at needed times, but it seems like the overhead involved with the "Start Task -> Take Measurement -> Shutdown Task" is throwing my timing out of sync. I'll try producer/consumer where I pass a current value from loop to loop, but there seems like something easier that I'm missing.