Looking for a LabVIEW mentor

Not specifically from this board, necessarily, but I'm looking for ways to build my skills. I'm the only person who uses the language at my company and I get around well enough to run our test sector, but if I'm going to move up or on, I need to get better.

Does NI sponsor user groups? Are there real-world LAVA lounges? Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated. Thanks.

Not specifically from this board, necessarily, but I'm looking for ways to build my skills. I'm the only person who uses the language at my company and I get around well enough to run our test sector, but if I'm going to move up or on, I need to get better.

Does NI sponsor user groups? Are there real-world LAVA lounges? Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated. Thanks.

Where are you located?

Jim

I am pretty isolated wrt LabVIEW and I have found nothing beats online resources, in particular LAVA. There are a wealth of really talented people that will give you help and advice as long as you put the effort in too. There is also a repo full of good stuff, not to mention histories of posts that may have already answered your questions.

Sure, i'd kill for a mentor, but if you don't get one don't freak out.

Jim,

Yes, NI does have user groups in some areas. Best way to find out if any are around you is to call your local sales reps.

Really? Because I have this neighbor that's really been getting on my nerves...

Oh, never mind. I thought you said you'd kill for a mentos.

I've found the best mentors as those you work beside - there's something to be said for working with people that are better than you: you're always challenged, and it's the best way to improve. So, looking for a mentor is a good idea, but looking for a company that is full of mentors is even better!

• Like 1

I've found the best mentors as those you work beside - there's something to be said for working with people that are better than you: you're always challenged, and it's the best way to improve. So, looking for a mentor is a good idea, but looking for a company that is full of mentors is even better!

Thanks for the segway Chris!

Data Science Automation is hiring now. We were started by the first person outside NI certified as a CPI, are lead by the 5Th CLA in the world, have two resident LabVIEW Champions and have one of the highest concenttations of of CLA's you can find anywhere.

Interested parties should check out

DSAutomation.com

for more information.

But on second thought, maybe that is not what Chris was hinting at.

:rolleyes:

Ben

Thanks everyone.

Where are you located?

Live in Raleigh, work in Durham, NC

Jim,

Yes, NI does have user groups in some areas. Best way to find out if any are around you is to call your local sales reps.

I hadn't thought of that. I'd better polish my "No, thank you, I'm all set on new hardware" speech.

Jim

I am pretty isolated wrt LabVIEW and I have found nothing beats online resources, in particular LAVA. There are a wealth of really talented people that will give you help and advice as long as you put the effort in too. There is also a repo full of good stuff, not to mention histories of posts that may have already answered your questions.

LAVA's been great for specific stuff, but I'm thinking more in the abstract. I don't always have a question, but I always need to learn. Like crelf suggests, I want someone better, whose code I can look at in an idle moment and say, "That's a great way to do that." Maybe I can drift around LAVA when I have that urge.

I've been thinking of a change, maybe it's time.

Thanks for the segway Chris!

Data Science Automation is hiring now. We were started by the first person outside NI certified as a CPI, are lead by the 5Th CLA in the world, have two resident LabVIEW Champions and have one of the highest concenttations of of CLA's you can find anywhere.

Interested parties should check out

DSAutomation.com

for more information.

But on second thought, maybe that is not what Chris was hinting at.

:rolleyes:

Ben

Any chance of a Raleigh branch opening?

Live in Raleigh, work in Durham, NC

That's my cue :).

I work for JKI and live in Cary, NC.

I frequently wish the LabVIEW community around here was a little more active/vibrant, but I think everyone is just really really busy all the time. There are a couple user groups, though, and I'd strongly suggest checking them out.

I try to go to Seneca5's user group (downtown Raleigh) when I can, but unfortunately they've picked a day of the month (first Tuesday) that conflicts with another longstanding recurring meeting so I don't get to go real often. I really like the vibe I've gotten from this group -- they take things really informally, and it's certainly a more independent discussion than I think you tend to get from NI-sponsored groups.

Also, the semi-official(?) NI user group meetings I think are usually held at G2 in Apex, but they're infrequent -- either that or I just don't know about them laugh.gif.

Anyway, come to one of those! And if you find out about any other LabVIEW clubs around these parts, feel free to PM me.

This group has been holding LV User Group meetings in Raleigh pretty regularly. I know somebody that used to work there, so I can say that they're a solid company.

BTW - I'd like to suggest that your LAVA user name is inaccurate; my name is also Jim.

Also, the semi-official(?) NI user group meetings I think are usually held at G2 in Apex, but they're infrequent -- either that or I just don't know about them laugh.gif.

They haven't had one for quite a while and the person that used to run them isn't there any more. I'll ask if they're planning to do any more.

PS - I met you there when you came to explain the JKI SM.

PPS - I live in Selma and work in Wilson, NC.

+1 for that Crelf, I very much agree with that.

In no way am claiming to be great at LabVIEW but in my current situation I am the person most interested in the language and pushing the limits of the language. Although my LabVIEW knowledge & techniques have improved over the last couple of years using LAVA & NI sites, it just does not compare to what you can learn sitting day to day with somebody a lot more experienced than yourself, seeing their code and more importantly receiving their critique and feedback on your work.

@Antoine: Why dont you work with Saphir? As it is one of the first LabVIEW integrator in France...

I did work a there a bit during summer break when I was a student... but my mum and my dad both work at Saphir... That's a good enough reason to me.

Yes, Saphir was the first NI Alliance Member in France, but Qualimatest has been an NI Select Integrator (the level above) since 2001 (maybe the first in Europe?) so it's a nice company as well.

And there is a big lake in Geneva, you don't get that near Saphir.

And being in Switzerland (where rugby is not popular at all, and totally amateur) I get to play in the top national league and some of my team-mates play for the Swiss national team, in France (where rugby is a professional sport) I would play in 10th division. Maybe...