A software engineering approach to labview?

Do any of you recommend this book? The amazon site has some pretty negative reviews but all dealing with poor print quality. One of the more recent reviews said that this has been fixed. My biggest concern is that the book seems old. I think it predates LVOOP.

My prints fine. I have heard of those issues, but never seem them so I can't comment.

However, in terms of the content, I recommend this book, it was a fundamental text when I was learning and I am actually keen to re-read it soon.

It does predate LVOOP and I read it before I was using LVOOP but it talks about OOP and how they implemented those concepts using what they had available in the IDE at the time to create components\modules\MFVI's using LCOD.

In summary, a good read if you ask me.

I hope there is a new edition in the works just in case the author is reading.

I doubt it. Here's a recent (as in the past couple of weeks) quote from him on Info LV on the topic:

Hi all,

As the author of "A Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW" I was totally disenchanted with the whole process of writing books. (Thanks Prentice-Hall!). I'm interested to hear that they may be publishing it again in a professional manner, or of similar interest that it's out of print. So what's the real story?

The amazon site has some pretty negative reviews but all dealing with poor print quality.

There was a lot of discussion about this on the LV mailing list last week. Apparently the print quality is restricted to the second printing. If you get one from the first or third printing you'll be okay.

Can't comment on content.

The book describes how I used to program like 10 years ago. I later migrated to OpenGoop, Very out of date. It's very light on the OO concepts as well. Native LVOOP is the only way to go moving forward and this book doesn't help you get there.

Not saying you can't use the methods described, but why would you when there are better ways.

As far as the printing, I was lucky to get the first one out in 2003. So quality was excellent.