Accidently losing your UNDOs

We all (should) know that saving your vi, zeroes your undos for that vi.

However, it turns out that merely getting to the SAVE or SAVE AS dialog box zeroes it as well. Accidently clicking on SAVE (when working on a previously unsaved vi) or SAVE AS (while working on any vi) and then pressing CANCEL, will zero your undos as well.

I discovered it in 6.1 and it still does it in 7.0. I do not have 7.1 but I believe someone had mentioned the bug is still extant in 7.1 as well.

Steps for reproducing the bug:

1. open a blank vi

2. drop a few controls or indicators on the front panel

3. click FILE->SAVE or Cntrl-S

4. When the dialog box opens, click CANCEL

5. press Cntrl-Z

Nothing happens. go to EDIT->UNDO and it is greyed-out.

This also happens will an existing saved vi that you make chages to and then try to SAVE AS.

It seems any time the file dialog box is displayed for saving, the undos are reset - whether you actually save it or not.

Chuck Spitaleri

We all (should) know that saving your vi, zeroes your undos for that vi.

However, it turns out that merely getting to the SAVE or SAVE AS dialog box zeroes it as well. Accidently clicking on SAVE (when working on a previously unsaved vi) or SAVE AS (while working on any vi) and then pressing CANCEL, will zero your undos as well.

I discovered it in 6.1 and it still does it in 7.0. I do not have 7.1 but I believe someone had mentioned the bug is still extant in 7.1 as well.

Steps for reproducing the bug:

1. open a blank vi

2. drop a few controls or indicators on the front panel

3. click FILE->SAVE or Cntrl-S

4. When the dialog box opens, click CANCEL

5. press Cntrl-Z

Nothing happens. go to EDIT->UNDO and it is greyed-out.

This also happens will an existing saved vi that you make chages to and then try to SAVE AS.

It seems any time the file dialog box is displayed for saving, the undos are reset - whether you actually save it or not.

Chuck Spitaleri

• 1 month later...