Remove History from LVCLASS

I posted a little premature and wanted to explore some options before I posted a question. I was trying to remove the post but it appeared there was no way to do that.

that said...

I would like to remove the alpha history from my LVCLASS. the mutation history is a great feature, but the build times are getting ridiculous for a a project with LVCLASS history spreading from 8.5 to 2010 sp1 (with service pack updates on many of the versions in between.)

I wanted to know if anyone had a tool to do this, but it appears its should be a reasonably easy to write from scratch.

I'm going to get all the classes in the project, rename them to some temporary name, save, then rename to a different name. According to the documentation that should clear the alpha (and hopefully improve my build time from an hour to like 10 minutes.)

~Jon

but the build times are getting ridiculous for a a project with LVCLASS history spreading from 8.5 to 2010 sp1... and hopefully improve my build time from an hour to like 10 minutes.

Mutation history only comes into play when your app encounters different versions of the same class at runtime. The classes don't mutate from version 8.5 -> 8.6 -> 2009 -> 2010 during the build. In principle clearing the mutation history might save you a little time during the build since you are eliminating the executable code required to perform the runtime mutations, but I'd be surprised if it was noticable and I'd be really surprised if it reduced your build time by 80%.

As Jarod said, the easiest way to clear the mutation history of a large number of classes is to change their namespace. You don't need to rename the class to do that. Try this:

1. Add a new project library named "temp.lvlib" to your project. (I'm pretty sure you don't even have to save the library.)

2. In the project explorer, select all your source code and move it so it is a member of temp.lvlib. i.e. If all your code is in a virtual folder named "src," just drag that folder so it is now a member of the library.

3. Move the src folder out of temp.lvlib and back to it's original position in your project.

4. Remove temp.lvlib from your project.

5. Save all.

Total time... ~20 seconds.

• Like 1