automatic version numbering source distributions

Hi All,

We have an application which uses a plugin architecture. The plugins are written in labview and distributed to the end users as a .llb file, with the top level vi in the llb being the main VI that is called as the plugin. At the moment, I use the source distribution build specification in the labview project (LV 8.6) to create the plugins. Unlike executable and installer builds, this does not allow me to set any kind of version number. Is it actually possible to version number an llb file? Can anyone suggest a sensible way of implementing a (preferably automated!) version numbering method for these files so I can keep track of which version of the plugin is being used?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Yes. I do something like this right now with Web Services. These also do not natively support a version number. My solution involves running a pre-build action in the build spec. This calls a VI that uses scripting to modify the default value of an indicator in another VI in the project. So, each time you build, the pre-build VI increments the value. You can then implement some code in your project to return the value of this indicator when you need to query the version number programatically.

Setup your build script like this:

post-2411-0-74344700-1301348689_thumb.pn

Then modify the attached files to work for your project.

Pre-Build Action.vi

Web Service Version.vi

Hope that helps!

-John

John - I don't have a pre/post build action option in my app builder, is that a new thing? (I'm on LV 8.6)

Ton - Is there any way to make the version of the lvlib library auto-increment? My llb file already contains the lvlib associated with the plugin VI, so I could potentially use that....

Thanks for your help.

Paul

John - I don't have a pre/post build action option in my app builder, is that a new thing? (I'm on LV 8.6)

Ton - Is there any way to make the version of the lvlib library auto-increment? My llb file already contains the lvlib associated with the plugin VI, so I could potentially use that....

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I have a tool that acts like a pre-build tool, and after that calls the NI-builder.

Ton