2011 LAVA/OpenG NI-Week Bar-B-Q

crelf

Yes, and yes.

Seriously though, there just aren't that many places within walking distance of the ACC that could accomodate us. The general consensus at last year's BBQ (which may have been fuelled by beer) was that it was good and that we should have it there again this year.

I'll be there.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am in. This is my first NIWeek. I am ready to say been there, done that, got the t-shirt and will do it again!

Most of the time I lurk and learn from you folks, occasionally chiming in on the OO stuff - perhaps too rambling on some posts according to Daklu :rolleyes:.

Anyway, this is going to be a long month until Austin.

See ya' there!

So does anyone know If I can pay at the door or not? Do I have to pay through paypal?

I have no idea, but Justin might respond to a PM if he is not watching this thread. I copied this link from the OP:

PM Justin here for info.

As we are still a bit away from the date, he might take a check. I expect he needs to commit $s to the restaurant.

Good luck. Hope to see you there!

So does anyone know If I can pay at the door or not? Do I have to pay through paypal?

We strongly prefer you pay in advance if you can, for a couple reasons:

1. We have to give a headcount to the restaurant before the event so they make the right amount of food.
  2. There may be a upper limit on the number of people we can accommodate, so you don't want to miss out :).

If you absolutely can't pay in advance, you're eligible to play "Find Justin on the convention floor and pay him $30 before all the seats are gone," wink.gif but PayPal is better. We understand that everything gets kind of crazy around NIWeek, but it gets crazy for us, too, and so we try to corner people into committing to the BBQ to reduce some of the noise in the system.

Is anyone else hoping they'll shorten the name to just "LAVA Open Bar?" We don't need "G NI-Week" and "-B-Q" ;)

If NI wanted to sponsor the bar tab, I think we could definitely work something out. cool.gif

If you absolutely can't pay in advance, you're eligible to play "Find Justin on the convention floor and pay him $30 before all the seats are gone," wink.gif

As the first place finisher of the 2010 "Find Justin on the convention floor and pay him $30 before all the seats are gone" games (I got the last ticket), I strongly suggest you get a ticket in advance. It took a lot of coordination and phone calls to find / secure a ticket

In the spirit of "pay first, ask questions later", now that I have my ticket ... Is transportation provided, or do we have to get ourselves to the restaurant?

There's no plan for transportation; last year some people worked out carpools. Taxis are probably also an option but I can't speak to that personally.

Last year I just walked to the Scholz Garten in a group with some other people. It's about 1.2 miles by foot, so roughly a 30-minute walk (depending on which side of the convention center you start from :P).

As far as I know, no one died last year, but survival is not guaranteed.

In BBQ news, the 2011 LAVA/OpenG NIWeek BBQ is in the "LabVIEW News" RSS feed in LabVIEW's Getting Started Window this morning! This is a pretty big step forward for us (with more surprises on the way!). Thanks, NI! You can also see the actual blog post here.

Wow - this Justin guy's much more organized than the guy who used to organize the BBQ... Not bad for a vegetarian!