LabVIEW Development System Has Stopped Working

I've been using LV2010 for the past two months on my relatively new laptop (Dell Inspiron w/ Core i5, Windows 7) without any problems. Then, this evening, out of the blue, LV won't start; I get a dialog box saying "LabVIEW Development System Has Stopped Working" See attached screenshot.

I had the exact same thing happen last week with my installed copy of LV2009. I have customers using various versions of LV, so I have multiple versions installed. The only way that I was able to get 2009 up and running again was to uninstall and reinstall it; trying to do a repair did not help. This is very time consuming, considering that I have Vision, RT, and FPGA installed.

Anybody else seen this? Is there a quick fix, or do I need to take the long way home?

post-8297-0-30451900-1301536671_thumb.jp

Edit: BTW I just tried it again (for like the 4th or 5th time) and this time it started. I'm in a hotel room, 4 hours from home, for onsite service at a customer location. I'm probably just going to keep my laptop on overnight with LV running until I'm back in the plant tomorrow morning.

Edited by BobHamburger

I've been using LV2010 for the past two months on my relatively new laptop (Dell Inspiron w/ Core i5, Windows 7) without any problems. Then, this evening, out of the blue, LV won't start; I get a dialog box saying "LabVIEW Development System Has Stopped Working" See attached screenshot.

I had the exact same thing happen last week with my installed copy of LV2009. I have customers using various versions of LV, so I have multiple versions installed. The only way that I was able to get 2009 up and running again was to uninstall and reinstall it; trying to do a repair did not help. This is very time consuming, considering that I have Vision, RT, and FPGA installed.

When you get done with this trip, you should definitely consider using virtualization to prevent getting stuck in these situations. If you're already on Windows 7, I'd recommend installing VMWare Workstation. Basically, it lets you support each customer project in isolation - which greatly reduces risk for your multiple projects/LV Versions. Also, when really painfully annoying issues like this happen, you can generally revert a VM (via a backup or snapshots, etc) a lot easier than fixing an issue on your physical machine.

Try temporarily moving Labview.ini file somewhere else so that LV can re-generate it with defaults. That quite often has fixed for me this type of crash.

Reinis

Anybody else seen this? Is there a quick fix, or do I need to take the long way home?

post-8297-0-30451900-1301536671_thumb.jp

Edit: BTW I just tried it again (for like the 4th or 5th time) and this time it started. I'm in a hotel room, 4 hours from home, for onsite service at a customer location. I'm probably just going to keep my laptop on overnight with LV running until I'm back in the plant tomorrow morning.

I'm taking Omar's suggestion and installing VMWare Workstation; I've downloaded it and trying it out for 30 days before purchase.

I've installed it and created a virtual machine without any difficulty. Now it wants me to supply it with the Win7 installation discs so that it can install the OS in the VM. Of course, my laptop didn't come with media (how many do these days?) It came from Dell with Win7 Home Premium installed, which I upgraded to Professional. Is there any direct way for me to generate an installation image from what I've got? I've poked around with VMWare and can't find any other way forward.

Suggestions?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

With Win7 Pro you can use Microsoft's VM.

I'm taking Omar's suggestion and installing VMWare Workstation; I've downloaded it and trying it out for 30 days before purchase.

I've installed it and created a virtual machine without any difficulty. Now it wants me to supply it with the Win7 installation discs so that it can install the OS in the VM. Of course, my laptop didn't come with media (how many do these days?) It came from Dell with Win7 Home Premium installed, which I upgraded to Professional. Is there any direct way for me to generate an installation image from what I've got? I've poked around with VMWare and can't find any other way forward.

Suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's a month later, and I'm a dedicated convert to virtual machines. Thanks, Omar, for the suggestion. However, I think I'm about to run into another bomb. My various VM's, each with their own clone of Windows 7, are requesting activation and threatening to not work in two days if I don't. From everything I've Googled online, there seems to be no way around this other than purchasing additional Windows keys, which is ridiculous. Anybody out there know of a way to get around the MS Licensing Nazis?

Well, it's a month later, and I'm a dedicated convert to virtual machines. Thanks, Omar, for the suggestion. However, I think I'm about to run into another bomb. My various VM's, each with their own clone of Windows 7, are requesting activation and threatening to not work in two days if I don't. From everything I've Googled online, there seems to be no way around this other than purchasing additional Windows keys, which is ridiculous. Anybody out there know of a way to get around the MS Licensing Nazis?

One option is MSDN Operating Systems, it's what I have, though it sounds like I could be leveraging it more. A $699 subscription gets you 10 license keys for testing for most OSes, and I think you can request more if you need it. It's meant for testing, not for sharing with friends, but that's exactly what you are doing.

In addition, Microsoft has knowledgeable salespeople you can call on the phone (or with chat online). I think there are thousands of people who are doing the same thing with virtualization so they should be able to point you in the right direction. However you may get better results if you don't actually call them Nazis when you discuss your situation with them.

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long but yeah I was going to say that with Windows 7, Virtual PC is installed and you can run in XP mode, which is basically a free XP environment that doesn't have any licensing issues. This is convienient because you can copy your virtual hard drive make a new virtual machine, and not have to deal with licensing or network naming conflics as long as you only start one at a time. Don't get me wrong I think I like VMWare more but it's not the standard at my company. Also you should know that there is a free version of VMWare that allows you to create virtual machines, it is VMWare Player. Despite the name you can make virtual machines as well but the motherboard it emulates might not meet all your needs. (ie no USB booting support)

The other thing I was going to mention was licensing issues with Windows 7. For that reason I don't know many people here that run a virtual machine of Windows 7 but I know some do. I think we get away with it because of our site license of Windows. Again I'm not in IT but they make it work for us. A good percentage of our customers still prefer XP, so for us it makes sense to have a virtual machine in the same environment.