LVOOP for 8.2 - any hiden problems?

Starting new project for old LabVIEW (version 8.2.1). I recollect there were some problems with LVOOP in 8.2, some of them so severe, that it was suggested not to use it in 8.2? I tried googling it out - no luck. Can somebody kindly point me to the problems I might run into.

So far I remember:

- no dynamic dispatch recursion

- no properties

- no friends and community scope.

Starting new project for old LabVIEW (version 8.2.1). I recollect there were some problems with LVOOP in 8.2, some of them so severe, that it was suggested not to use it in 8.2? I tried googling it out - no luck. Can somebody kindly point me to the problems I might run into.

Yes, if memory serves correctly, 8.2.1 was a massive upgrade for LVOOP rather than the standard minor fixes.

Anyways, I have seen weird stuff with using it so I wouldn't recommend it (I was forced to by a client's license).

Of course it makes sense that the standard features are more stable in the latest LabVIEW versions (and that there are more features as well).

IMHO I would recommend LV2009.SP1 if you have access to it - lots of features and really stable.

Of course it comes down to your requirements and resources etc...

Yes, if memory serves correctly, 8.2.1 was a massive upgrade for LVOOP rather than the standard minor fixes.

Anyways, I have seen weird stuff with using it so I wouldn't recommend it (I was forced to by a client's license).

My regular development platform is 2010SP1, but this time I am forced to use 8.2.1. due to client license.

jgcode, were your problems stability related, performance related or ... ? Did you refer to 8.2 or 8.2.1 when you spoke about the problems?

I think 8.2 also had issues building EXEs that contained LVOOP classes that used dynamic dispatching (name collision issues) - I recall having to have my classes in specific destination folders outside of the exe (pretty sure that was in 8.2).

Good points.

It wasn't until LV2009 that the AB had a makeover and due to a new internal file/folder layout, file collisions do not occur and are not stored outside of the EXE (looks real messy for clients).

Now I may be smoking crack here, but I was under the impression that you couldn't built an EXE that contained LVOOP in 8.2 due to a number of issues (may it was certain features?) - you have to use 8.2.1? I tried googling and found this. Of course AQ would know best.

Hi guys

I've used LVOOP since 8.2 heavily, and yes there are some problems you can run into in 8.2 but in 8.6 everytihng is working great again.

But there was not any problems in 8.2 that I couldn't find work around for.

But if you want to save you some time, try at least 8.6, or LV2010SP1

Cheers,

Mike

So it seems the summary is to use a higher version if you can, but 8.2.1 is better than 8.2

Also, here is the versions to use that relate to your original questions:

- dynamic dispatch recursion (as in reentrant dynamic VIs - LabVIEW 8.5)

- properties (as in property nodes - LabVIEW 2010)

- friends and community scope (LabVIEW 2009)

So it seems the summary is to use a higher version if you can, but 8.2.1 is better than 8.2

Also, here is the versions to use that relate to your original questions:

- dynamic dispatch recursion (as in reentrant dynamic VIs - LabVIEW 8.5)

- properties (as in property nodes - LabVIEW 2010)

- friends and community scope (LabVIEW 2009)

I believe the error reporting was less than ideal. More recent version make it easier to figure out what is broken.

Was that the version where the parent class would break if one of the children was broken?

Ben