Add a ruler for layout

This may sound simple but I could really help in FP layout.

Even better, I think it should be really easy to implement. :D

When using the selection tool, add the coordinates of the tool's position, relative to the front panel, in the same way that it is used to resize or move objects.

Second, when the sizing tool is "left-clicked" to draw a box, switch the coordinate display to show the dimensions of the selection box.

Why?

When laying out a front panel, sometimes it's difficult to judge spacing and balance, particularly on a large FP. This feature would allow the selection tool to be used as a "Ruler" to quickly measure spaces and distances.

Grid snap has made FP layout much better, (Thanks NI), but this new feature would make these old eyes much happier.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree... it would help to have a ruler and/or coordinates added. Another area that I find myself wishing for this is when controls are created on the front panel way far away from all the other controls. This is usually during cut and paste operations. So double clicking on the block diagram terminal switches to the front panel and I want to grab the control and move it to be in close proximity of the other controls, only don't know where that happens to be.

The navigation window has helped some with this but if you're like me and don't keep it on then you have to turn it on, move the object, then turn it off.

I used to have a small utility that showed what the mouse position was and what VI it was in. I used it to make similar VIs have essentially the same front panel layout.

I think the same effect can be written pretty quickly with George Zou's GToolBox VIs (which are worth several times the toolkit price ~$40.00)(no I'm not affiliated, it's just a good kit).

I'll see if I can dig up the utility. Its not a ruler, but...

Also, using George's VIs you can give a VI a "skin". This can be dynamic, so I suppose you might be able to put a ruler skin down, use it, then remove before you saved...

Mike