LabVIEW Consulting Advice

Frederic

Looking for some career advice for a newby to the LabVIEW community: I am a 25-year electronic test engineer in aerospace who is finally linking his test equipment and experience with LabVIEW.

In addition to my day job, I am interested in part-time work on projects using LabVIEW.

I am taking my CLAD certification test this month but am looking for advice on how I might find work at this level.

At this point I am more interested in experience and contacts than income.

Any recommendations you could offer would be appreciated.

Also, apologize for using the forum's personal messaging system on this topic. I now better understand the purpose of that system.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to my day job, I am interested in part-time work on projects using LabVIEW.

At this point I am more interested in experience and contacts than income.

Any recommendations you could offer would be appreciated.

Check with your local sales rep to find out if there are any user group meetings in your area. Volunteer to give a presentation about something you're experienced in.

There are a couple open-source projects that always need help. Two that come to mind are OpenG and LapDog. :shifty:

Hmmm...I wonder which of those is Daklu's favorite....

Was I too obvious? :lol:

Actually, "favorite" isn't the right word. (Or maybe it is--but I don't like the connotation it carries...) I have nothing against OpenG and have used it in the past. It's good stuff. LapDog and OpenG aren't competitors. They serve different purposes with different goals. OpenG packages (I believe) are a bunch of very useful vis that arguably should have been included in Labview. LapDog packages are intended to be functional components you can easily drop into a project and extend to meet your custom requirements. A messaging system, collections, data structures, sequencer... things like that.

I emphasized LapDog mainly because it needs more help for it to become truely useful for other developers. There's just too much work for a single person to put out quality stuff in his spare time. Design, implementation, documentation, examples, packaging, etc. takes a lot of time. And since that single person is me, I feel it a bit more acutely.