Most weird way to get Connector Pane image

vugie

I'm watching around and verifying my ideas for automated documentation generation for libraries. I tracked how Documentation VIs (in Report Generation palette) generates such documentation. I found this subVI for getting images of VI elements:

post-7450-0-84441200-1303898691_thumb.pn

So basically when I want to create HTML with VI documentation using Report Generation, it makes images by printing partial documentation to HTML in temp directory and deletes HTML file leaving an image... Later when final HTML is saved, images are being copied from temp directory (without deleting original and without overwriting, so if the report is only updated, it uses old images).

Pretty weird way. Particularly concerning that such private methods as "Export Interface" and "Get Conpane Image" exist, not even talking about public "Get Term Image".

I'm watching around and verifying my ideas for automated documentation generation for libraries. I tracked how Documentation VIs (in Report Generation palette) generates such documentation. I found this subVI for getting images of VI elements:

post-7450-0-84441200-1303898691_thumb.pn

So basically when I want to create HTML with VI documentation using Report Generation, it makes images by printing partial documentation to HTML in temp directory and deletes HTML file leaving an image... Later when final HTML is saved, images are being copied from temp directory (without deleting original and without overwriting, so if the report is only updated, it uses old images).

Pretty weird way. Particularly concerning that such private methods as "Export Interface" and "Get Conpane Image" exist, not even talking about public "Get Term Image".

The Report Generation Toolkit was written way back when those VI Server methods didn't exist. And it apparently hasn't been updated. Also note that it may not have been possible to update it for a long time, because of the oldest LabVIEW version it was supposed to support when being installed.

The Report Generation Toolkit was written way back when those VI Server methods didn't exist. And it apparently hasn't been updated. Also note that it may not have been possible to update it for a long time, because of the oldest LabVIEW version it was supposed to support when being installed.

I'm not talking about Toolkit, but VIs in standard LV distribution. They are LVOOP based, so relatively new. These methods definitely existed.

And it is just a curiosity.

I'm not talking about Toolkit, but VIs in standard LV distribution. They are LVOOP based, so relatively new. These methods definitely existed.

And it is just a curiosity.

It's really the same. The toolkit is just an extended version that includes support for various MS Office applications. And the LVOOP is mostly an adaption of the existing code, not a rewrite from ground up. LVOOP makes it possible to install easily the extended Toolkit without replacing any of the basic VIs already in place. This can be also achieved without LVOOP, but not as elegantly, and it wasn't done in the old version as I found out when looking into creating a PDF export possibility.