UI Skin 1.0.7

Hi all,

This is an alternate tool to define objects size and position instead of LabVIEW native methods. (Scale Object with Pane)

It may not yet manipulate *all* objects correctly.

It is deployed as a Packed Library (LV 2010).

Label, Caption, and SubObjects (Graph Palette, Tabs, ...) are not used for position and size evaluation.

Each object size and position refers to the object "Core Bounds" and its container bounds. (Pane, Cluster, Page or SubPanel)

Here is a small example :

skin_illustration.jpg

Please tell me if you find unwanted behaviour.

Hugo

Skin Packed Library 1.0.7.zip

Here is a simple demo. Percent and Offset controls can be modified with the mouse wheel.

It's a great idea. I have been thinking of such a way of panel design for a long time.

I didn't tested it (because of 2010), but I have some ideas you could consider:

• Relative object placement - i.e place button 5px below bottom line of string control and horizontally centered to it. Something like label alignment in Label Manager RCF Plugin
  • Automatic handling resize event without necessity to manually adding it to block diagram - either universal daemon for handling all skinned VIs launched once during application init, or per VI daemons launched with subVI dropped somewhere on block diagram
  • Offline update with skin editor (if not done already)
  • Storing skins with VI tags (skins are tied to VIs as tight as possible)
  • I would rather call them layouts, not skins...

• 3 weeks later...

It's a great idea. I have been thinking of such a way of panel design for a long time.

I didn't tested it (because of 2010), but I have some ideas you could consider:

• Relative object placement - i.e place button 5px below bottom line of string control and horizontally centered to it. Something like label alignment in Label Manager RCF Plugin
  • Automatic handling resize event without necessity to manually adding it to block diagram - either universal daemon for handling all skinned VIs launched once during application init, or per VI daemons launched with subVI dropped somewhere on block diagram
  • Offline update with skin editor (if not done already)
  • Storing skins with VI tags (skins are tied to VIs as tight as possible)
  • I would rather call them layouts, not skins...

Hi,

• Relative object placement is not so easy, it may create circular links. I'll think about it ...
  • Adding an event Pane:Resize and link it to the Redraw VI is not much ... and i allways want to be aware of which code is executing, and when...
  • It is already possible to update the VI Offline (without any code in the target VI), but you need at least the VI Front Panel opened.
  • Skins are stored in tags. It is possible to export/import skin for dynamic change in the layout. You can import/export skin directly from the Editor (Right click on VI List)