Flexible question about LabView

power_wong

In Vision Builder, I know we can make a vi, for example, to measure 2 lengths, measure 3 angles of a component then compile it to an exe application. But is it possible to develop a flexible vi that can allow the user (in the exe application) to select what he wants to measure for different components such as measure 5 angles then 3 lengths for 1 component and 4 lengths and 2 angles for another component. Or it must need the LabView developer to hard code the vi for each component to measure its particular length/angle. If it is possible, do you have any information about how to do it? Any demo or link for this?

• 4 weeks later...

You'll need a experienced programmer to write code to do this.

I can see a toolbar that allows the user to select the type of measurement they wish to make. Draw the ROI over the image artifacts to measure - then change or modify parameters to fine-tune the results.

Although not a huge task - its not trivial either. I find that these applications start the 'avalance' of requirements.

If you want to measure something - you will want to record it.

You'll want to compare the results to some upper and lower limit.

If you want to record something - you'll want to retrive, browse compare it.

Soon the data itself beccomes the most important aspect of the application - the acquisition of the data becomes secondary. This is the opposite view of the programmer - who's more enamored with the acquisiton & control.

Soon they only want 'one button' to do the whole thing. There are consultants who can help you. Or you can program the application yourself. Using the application builder - it will give you example code of how to accomplish a task.

Regards

J. Hamilton

Soon they only want 'one button' to do the whole thing

Like general computer rules...

In win 3.1 every setting was within 1-3 mouse-click. in XP it's withing 6-9 clicks :thumbdown:

Reminds me the "aunt Olga"-test of a german computer magazine. An XT (computer generation of somewhere in 1980) won in time against a Pentium IV in sending an email to "aunt Olga", including boot, connecting to the internet, write mail, send, shutdown. :thumbup: