CLAD required for CLD?

I would like to get the CLD, but since my employer sees absolutely no benefit to having me certified I'll be doing it all on my own nickel, not to mention taking vacation time off work to take the exam. But after a bit of research I've discovered that getting the CLAD is listed as a prerequisite for the CLD. Is this really the case in practice?? If so, any idea why?? I can't believe it's just money-grubbing on NI's part (and I'm not being sarcastic). If I can pass the CLD, what's the point of the CLAD?

I would like to get the CLD, but since my employer sees absolutely no benefit to having me certified I'll be doing it all on my own nickel, not to mention taking vacation time off work to take the exam. But after a bit of research I've discovered that getting the CLAD is listed as a prerequisite for the CLD. Is this really the case in practice?? If so, any idea why?? I can't believe it's just money-grubbing on NI's part (and I'm not being sarcastic). If I can pass the CLD, what's the point of the CLAD?

I can't speak for the motivation of the certification department, but the stated prerequisite is accurate...you must pass the CLAD before you can take the CLD, and you must pass the CLD before you can take the CLA.

If you want to save some money, in the past NI has offered the associate developer's test free of charge at annual regional developer days. (if you are in a hurry that might not be an option.)

As far as the CLD is concerned, you can usually wrangle a $200 gift certificate for showing up to various NI sponsored events (which being able to attend might be an issue considering your employers stance on the certification in the first place.)

I would talk to your local NI rep about your situation, I've found them to be very reasonable as far as certification billing is concerned (they might even waive the fee.)

~Jon

Edited by Jon Kokott

I can't believe it's just money-grubbing on NI's part (and I'm not being sarcastic). If I can pass the CLD, what's the point of the CLAD?

Yep CLAD is a prerequisite for CLD which is a prerequisite for CLA. You might want to forward this link to your boss. Maybe you can make a deal that you pay for the CLD if he pays for the CLAD. It wouldn't hurt to send an email to NI explaining the situation and asking for a discount coupon. All they can do is say no right? :D

I don't think NI really makes a whole lot of money on the certification. For the CLAD Pearson VUE probably keeps most of it and there is some administrative cost at NI associated with it. The CLD and CLA are four hours of test time plus review by two NI engineers. At $299 I don't think there is much profit if any. And for re-certification Pearson VUE again probably pockets a big chunk of the money.

[Edit] I think maybe the reason they want you to take the CLAD first is evidence that they don't make any money on the process. If you had someone coming in for the CLD test who doesn't know what a state machine or a typedef is and only uses stacked sequence structures, local variables and sequence locals, doesn't know about the icon editor or that they can easily make their own context help for vis, doesn't even use subvis, it will be a waste of everyones time. If you pass the CLAD they know you at least have a shot at passing. If certification were a profit center with gobs of margin they probably wouldn't have that requirement.

Personally, I think that the CLAD, CLD and CLA test different things: familiarity with the development environment, ability to develop, ability to architect. It's true that you can do the latter(s) without the knowledge of the former(s) but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything that you're tested on in the CLAD is in the CLD, and the CLD in the CLA. As an example: I've seen ppl who have passed the CLA before the CLAD existed, and I'm not sure they'd pass a CLAD on the first attempt :)

As an example: I've seen ppl who have passed the CLA before the CLAD existed, and I'm not sure they'd pass a CLAD on the first attempt :)

Yeah, after all my griping *I'm* probably going to fail the CLAD. :rolleyes:

Christopher, I admit I am just making a guess as to why NI would want you to pass each exam in order. It seems reasonable or at least it did when I wrote it. :D

Another seemingly reasonable guess is based on what you just said. NI wants to make sure a CLD knows the CLAD stuff and that a CLA knows what it is to be a CLD. Since nobody would take a ten hour CLA test encompassing all three areas they broke it up.

Hey NI can you tell us why?

hi cat,

You shouldn't worry about CLAD, even I passed CLAD easily and I'm still a student. So if you are coding since 1994 this will be easy! just review the basics and work with the sample exam. You can also take the CLAD exam for free at NI local expo.

My guess is you have to start the certification pyramid from scratch, like going to the university you need a bachelor to go to master degree, then PhD(Even though you don't need to know everything you learned when you were working towards a bachelor's degree).

@crelf: I doubt an Architect would fail at CLAD (if he works a little bit)

• 4 months later...

dont agree, what if you have already passed CLAD before, however it is expired. Do you need to do it again before taking the CLD? Considering you are still active in the field and using LabVIEW everyday. I think it is just Money craving

I don't LIKE it -- being in the same situation -- but it makes perfect sense to me and, as has been pointed out, there isn't a whole lot of money involved for NI in the process. Certifying others is a very time-staff expense operation, esp to set up initially but also to maintain, let alone extend, over time.

dont agree, what if you have already passed CLAD before, however it is expired. Do you need to do it again before taking the CLD? Considering you are still active in the field and using LabVIEW everyday. I think it is just Money craving

It only costs $99 for a CLAD exam through Pearson VUE and I don't know if NI gets any of that. It costs $299 for a CLD or CLA exam which lasts four hours. Then there is the time for two engineers to review and grade it. And don't forget the administration. I don't think there is a lot of money to be made in certifications. Maybe there is some profit from the courses to prepare for these exams but I am guessing it is not a whole lot compared to NIs core products.