DAQ using Pic18f4550

Hi to all im trying to make my demo board i found in this page Ston10.com and trying to connect it to my Macbook but it dosent soport the dll file given by microchip it says error the file you selected is not a valid library, can any one help me thanks ill send the VI im using.

Edited by ston10

Hi to all im trying to make my demo board i found in this page Ston10.com and trying to connect it to my Macbook but it dosent soport the dll file given by microchip it says error the file you selected is not a valid library, can any one help me thanks ill send the VI im using.

DLLs are for the windows platform. If you are using the MCHPFSUSB, I've never seen Microchip support for the MAC, but you never know.

thanks for answering i was reading on microchip page over pic 18f4550 and it say they can be use on mac but in just starting to use pic to its all for my clase i have this semester and have to turn this proyect where i have to make a pic work like a daq and labview has to control it if theres any one who's doing this pleas help thanks i fould this bord you could look at it it works http://www.electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=931

DLLs are for the windows platform. If you are using the MCHPFSUSB, I've never seen Microchip support for the MAC, but you never know.

Edited by ston10

Hi i found this files on a other fourm to be able to call the pic from labview can any one tell me if this could work on mac im still trying to make my project work cuz all i have is a mac and realy hate windows thanks.

DLL in labview

I'll reiterate. DLLS are for the windows platform. So no. It won't work.

there are 2 aspects to using pics.

1. Uploading the firmware (bootloader and your program either using a PIC programmer or specific software).

2. Communicating with the firmware once you achieve No1 (usually as a serial port)

To achieve No1. You have to use the toolchains supplied from the manufacturer (I use HiTech as it happens) or some open source equivalent. The VIs you are downloading are merely wrappers around the manufacturers API for communicating with their PICs that are "blank" so have no USB support as you would consider it. (LabVIEW is not a PIC programmer). Lots of people have windows and microchip supply the DLL for windows and some people have written the wrappers to use this DLL for uploading the bootloaders and firmware rather than using one of the myriad of other tools people have written.. For the MAC they (Microchip) would need to supply a "framework" or dylib which would enable you to do the same on a MAC with LabVIEW.

Maybe this page on PICs with the MAC and Linux will help.

Edited by ShaunR

I'll reiterate. DLLS are for the windows platform. So no. It won't work.

there are 2 aspects to using pics.

1. Uploading the firmware (bootloader and your program either using a PIC programmer or specific software).

2. Communicating with the firmware once you achieve No1 (usually as a serial port)

To achieve No1. You have to use the toolchains supplied from the manufacturer (I use HiTech as it happens) or some open source equivalent. The VIs you are downloading are merely wrappers around the manufacturers API for communicating with their PICs that are "blank" so have no USB support as you would consider it. (LabVIEW is not a PIC programmer). Lots of people have windows and microchip supply the DLL for windows and some people have written the wrappers to use this DLL for uploading the bootloaders and firmware rather than using one of the myriad of other tools people have written.. For the MAC they (Microchip) would need to supply a "framework" or dylib which would enable you to do the same on a MAC with LabVIEW.

Maybe this page on PICs with the MAC and Linux will help.

Maybe i wasnt explaning my self or i could be wrong so hear i go i understud that dll or not sopported by mac, Im doing a DAQ hardware and labview is my controler in software is there a way where i can use my pic on mac to comunicate to labview to send and recive info thanks sorry for my bad spelling..

Maybe i wasnt explaning my self or i could be wrong so hear i go i understud that dll or not sopported by mac, Im doing a DAQ hardware and labview is my controler in software is there a way where i can use my pic on mac to comunicate to labview to send and recive info thanks sorry for my bad spelling..

Yes. Absolutely.

All the VIs you have downloaded are based around uploading the firmware to the PIC. If you have this already then once you have programmed the PIC with the USB commands that you want it to respond to you can use the LabVIEW serial comms VIS (VISA) to communicate as if it was a normal serial port (see the simple serial example shipped with LabVIEW).

See here about using PICS with virtual serial ports.