Custom Device Drivers & Labview

Hello,

If I had custom drivers for an instrument/device, how can I "import" them to Labview so that I can use it to communicate with the device and acquire data?

Thank you in advance

It depends on the driver. For DLLs you can use the "Call Library Function Node." You have to know the function calls, the node will try to guess only the function names. Each function prototype must be entered. .Net stuff can also be used as well to communicate to the driver.

If I had custom drivers for an instrument/device, how can I "import" them to Labview so that I can use it to communicate with the device and acquire data?

It depends on what "custom drivers" you have, and maybe on what type of instrument you have.

If your driver is a dll or other shared library, use "Call Library Function".

If your driver is not a library, but just code written in some other language, use the "Code Interface Node".

If your instrument is a GPIB device, or uses some other sort of serial protocol, there should be some documentation with the device that gives the command set. Figure out what commands you need and rewrite them with LabVIEW VISA vis.

The easiest thing to do is contact the company that made the instrument and ask them if they have LV drivers. If they do, great. If not, let them know they should be developing them...

You should also check the instrument driver network on the NI site. Might be something available there that supports your device.

Right! That's actually the easiest thing to do. Or maybe tell us something about your instrument/device and someone here might have a driver...