Just took the CLA

I just got done with my first attempt at CLA certification. I may be close to 70% but I was already expecting to have to do this again so no worries if I need another try. It's much more difficult than it looks! When I first looked at it I thought I would nail it but after three hours I wasn't so sure.

To be continued...

No, nothing like that. In fact I was surprised at how similar the sample exam was to the actual exam. I know that with enough time I would have completed everything. Those four hours really do fly.

If I did pass it was probably close. If I did not pass then, well, it's not like it's the end of the world biggrin.gif My goal is to pass the CLA before 2012 so I still have lot's of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh heh... I think I need to take up your attitude. Looks like my cert is going to go into suspension, but I guess I shouldn't let it bother me.

No, nothing like that. In fact I was surprised at how similar the sample exam was to the actual exam. I know that with enough time I would have completed everything. Those four hours really do fly.

If I did pass it was probably close. If I did not pass then, well, it's not like it's the end of the world biggrin.gif My goal is to pass the CLA before 2012 so I still have lot's of time.

• 2 weeks later...

No go.

It was a little closer than I expected and I think I might be able to pass next time. There were several modules and I started designing them in order. I spent too much time on each and just ran out of time. I aced style and for documentation, architecture and requirements I had about the same percentage of available points as the percentage of modules that I completed. Next time I will take a more iterative approach.

I think I spent too much time writing code. I didn't actually try to do full implementation but I did things like create the required case structures, loops, etc. This brings up a question. Is it possible to pass without writing any code, meaning only subvis, connector panes and typedefs? I tried to create about as much code as what is in the sample solution. Is it possible to pass with none at all?

I really wish there were more sample exams with solutions. It would really be nice if NI could release samples of failing solutions and explanations of what should have been done differently.

I will probably give it a few months before my next attempt.

Is it possible to pass without writing any code, meaning only subvis, connector panes and typedefs?

Obviously I can't speak for NI, but I suspect not. One tip I got from my review panel was to do a somewhat detailed implementation for one module and refer back to it with the other modules.

But your question highlights the hardest thing about the CLA--figuring out what work scores points and what work doesn't.