Unflatten from String crashing LabVIEW

I'm trying to make sure that I'm not out in left field. I've got a SR# with NI Tech support and would like a second opinion while he looks at it.

I've narrowed down to the code in the attached VI causing problems for me. The VI will cause LabVIEW to, at best, stop responding (including window updates), or, at worst, go away. By go away I mean it vanished from Task Manager with no message as to why. I didn't see a known issue with LV 2010 SP1 (which is what I'm using) on this. I get proper behavior if I put in a i32 constant or an array of i32s, so it's something about having an array of clusters of the elements I'm using.

Switching the boolean to include array size resolves the issue in that I get an error, which would be the behavior I expect.

Thanks,

Tim

Untitled 1.vi

Definitely reproducible. It does not crash if only the cluster is inputted, only for the array. Adding a label to the array did not help either. (I had seen that be a problem before.) I originally thought it might be a corrupt cluster, but recreating it from scratch did not help.

I have LV2010sp1 -32bit on 64win7

I'm trying to make sure that I'm not out in left field. I've got a SR# with NI Tech support and would like a second opinion while he looks at it.

I've narrowed down to the code in the attached VI causing problems for me. The VI will cause LabVIEW to, at best, stop responding (including window updates), or, at worst, go away. By go away I mean it vanished from Task Manager with no message as to why. I didn't see a known issue with LV 2010 SP1 (which is what I'm using) on this. I get proper behavior if I put in a i32 constant or an array of i32s, so it's something about having an array of clusters of the elements I'm using.

Switching the boolean to include array size resolves the issue in that I get an error, which would be the behavior I expect.

Thanks,

Tim

I can confirm that it crashes LabVIEW (V10.1). I suspect it has something to do with the fact that if you don't set the boolean true, then whatever memory labview needs for that array of clusters just doesn't get allocated before it tries to write to it and you get an access violation.

Mark

Setting the boolean to true allows it to work....cool. I also tried changing the string to contain actual content, and using an uninitialized array. Both didn't work.

I originally thought that this was related to the cluster, but an array of strings, or variants also crash LabVIEW.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to get a problem with this node if you, for example, flatten a very large integer then pass that string to unflatten and claim that the data that was flattened was an array. LV will read the first 4 bytes as the size of the array and will try to allocate that large an array. I've run into situations where that leads to LV running out of memory and crashing my system. I do not think that applies in this case, but I offer it as something to check for when investigating this CAR.