Project Hosting

"your project needs to be open source"

I don't think this would work well for collaborating with customers. Another option is bitbucket. It's free for 5 users or unlimited for academic and non-profit. I'm looking at using it for my FRC team.

Edited by gleichman

"your project needs to be open source"

I don't think this would work well for collaborating with customers. Another option is bitbucket. It's free for 5 users or unlimited for academic and non-profit. I'm looking at using it for my FRC team.

I saw the open source disclaimer. Private Projects would be cool. I would be willing to pay.

Besides online hosting (microsft has a host that supports Mercurial), there are several packages that supports private hosting on your own server, I'm getting quite fond of Rhodecode.

Some of the online hosting services also offer other integrations, bug-tracking, publising build packages, wiki's, twitter/facebook announcements.

For public hosting I use Bitbucket as the public repo for my private code

Ton

I use and love FogBugz mainly for bug tracking, but it is great for estimation as well. Overtime it learns how good you are at estimating tasks and that becomes handy when quoting projects for customers. It also has "kiln" to host repositories, but I haven't used that.

It is free for up to 2 users (academic, start ups).

There is a way to configure your TortoiseSVN to have a FogBugz ID entry that links your commits as check ins in your bug entries in FogBugz.

I have used http://projectlocker.com/ too, but just as a repository, I don't like their interface for bug/task tracking. If you have the paying version, you can link it to FogBugz.

Oh boy.

This opened a can of worms....

Mecurial looks AWESOME for what I want to do. I like the idea of everybody having a local repository. I was concerned how this works, but after reading this I am very intrigued.

Bit Bucket looks really cool.

My use case is I have customers who don't use SCC (bad bad). I need something that is easy to use, simple, and low cost so the customers who want to make changes can without blowing everything up. I like the mercurial model because we can both have local repositories. This I think would be an easier sell because the customer feels like they have control (i.e. the code), but it is still under SCC. We can both make changes and it is managed.

MOST customers never want to mess with the code, but for those that do this looks like a nice way to handle it.

Bit bucket looks cool because I can have issue tracking, wiki and all kinds off cool features that are web based. Great for customers, no installations, and I can manage this easily.

Stay tuned...

Bit bucket looks cool because I can have issue tracking, wiki and all kinds off cool features that are web based. Great for customers, no installations, and I can manage this easily.

I've been using WebFaction. Bitbucket is free for 5 users, but when you start to add more users, it quickly gets more expensive. At webfaction, you just pay based on disk and bandwidth usage, so the minimum account should be plenty.

Here's a link with my referral code. If you use it, I'll donate anything that comes in back to LAVA.

http://www.webfaction.com/services/hosting?affiliate=sfis

Bitbucket looks great except for one thing.

I can handle moving to mercurial, and I can even handle splitting my SVN repo into multiple by-project repos and simply organizing the repos into folders by customer. However, it looks like on bitbucket I have to place all of the repos at the same folder heirarchy level. That would force me to do something like [Customer_ProjectName] instead of [Customer]/[ProjectName]. Is there a way around this? I have too many projects to leave them all in a single folder.

Bitbucket looks great except for one thing.

I can handle moving to mercurial, and I can even handle splitting my SVN repo into multiple by-project repos and simply organizing the repos into folders by customer. However, it looks like on bitbucket I have to place all of the repos at the same folder heirarchy level. That would force me to do something like [Customer_ProjectName] instead of [Customer]/[ProjectName]. Is there a way around this? I have too many projects to leave them all in a single folder.

You're correct that you should put every project in their own repository. You can add quite a lot repositories to Bitbucket that aren't aware of each other. Mercurial has the option to have subrepos (per customer) I haven't howerver looked at those features.

Ton