Question for math wizards

I'm working with 3-point vectors (x, y, and t) where x and y define the location of point p and t defines the angular orientation of point p relative to the vector's frame of reference. For example, if vector AB is (2, 3, 30), that means point B (B is actually the origin of another frame of reference) is located at x=2 and y=3 in A's coordinate space and it is oriented +30 degrees with respect to A's coordinate space.

Now the problem:

Given vector AB in unknown coordinate space A, how can I calculate vector BA in coordinate space B? In other words, knowing only vector AB's values (2, 3, 30), I need to find vector BA. I'm pretty sure it's solvable mathematically--I can sketch it out on paper and visualize the solution. What I have so far works for some restricted situations but isn't robust enough to handle an arbitrary input.

Any ideas?

post-7603-0-84059000-1308119754_thumb.pn

Any ideas?

Only thoughts:

-- I would separate the changing of frames of reference (AB in A-frame --> AB in B-frame) from the inverting of the vector (since the later is then trivial)

-- shouldn't the change of reference frame involve two relative angles? rather that the single angle your code snippet seems to have?

-- James

I'm working with 3-point vectors (x, y, and t) where x and y define the location of point p and t defines the angular orientation of point p relative to the vector's frame of reference. For example, if vector AB is (2, 3, 30), that means point B (B is actually the origin of another frame of reference) is located at x=2 and y=3 in A's coordinate space and it is oriented +30 degrees with respect to A's coordinate space.

Now the problem:

Given vector AB in unknown coordinate space A, how can I calculate vector BA in coordinate space B? In other words, knowing only vector AB's values (2, 3, 30), I need to find vector BA. I'm pretty sure it's solvable mathematically--I can sketch it out on paper and visualize the solution. What I have so far works for some restricted situations but isn't robust enough to handle an arbitrary input.

Any ideas?

post-7603-0-84059000-1308119754_thumb.pn

Without really thinking too much...

If you use complex notation the work is generally simler since you can just add vectors.

Ben