No Access to Block Diagram

Hello,

I was given a large project that contains many subvi's. I am able to access the block diagram to all but one. Why is this??

The subvi was written by a colleague that left years ago and I need to know whats in it

What could be preventing me to see the block diagram?

If there is no pop-up asking for a password when you press "CTRL + E" then my guess is they removed the block diagram. In some versions of LabVIEW you could choose to save without block diagrams, but later I think you have to do it through scripting, or a Build Specification in a project.

Try opening the VI in another version of LabVIEW. I think you won't be able to open it if there is no block diagram. If this is the case then there is no hope in getting source code out of that file. You'll need to get an original copy or recreate the functionality.

Hello,

Thank you for the replies

There is no pop up window requiring a password. How else can I be 100% sure that it is password protected or not?

I am using Labview 2010 and I know that the program was written in an earlier version (not sure which probably v8.6). If the block diagram has been removed, isn't any way to dig up the code? The subvi in question is (must be) quite complicated so it will be difficult to rewrite it.

I hate to say it, but if you don't get the dialog when you press ctrl+e, then you don't have any diagrams. It looks like the your ex-developer stripped them out. There are many motivations to do this, not all of them nefarious: it's sometimes a good idea when distributing code. Your least painful route might be to contact the develop to see if they have a backup with the diagrams in place.

Can you upload a vi here and we'll take a look at it to confirm?

I hate to say it, but if you don't get the dialog when you press ctrl+e, then you don't have any diagrams. It looks like the your ex-developer stripped them out. There are many motivations to do this, not all of them nefarious: it's sometimes a good idea when distributing code. Your least painful route might be to contact the develop to see if they have a backup with the diagrams in place.

Can you upload a vi here and we'll take a look at it to confirm?

But if there is no diagram it wouldn't run in a different version than the one it was created in, would it? I remember some dialogs in the past when trying to open a diagramless VI in a different version.

Could it be something like a global variable?

Could the diagram be off-screen, like on a second monitor that's no longer around?

Is Menu->Window->Show Block Diagram grayed out?

Is there a Windows task bar item for the diagram?

Is there a Run arrow in the toolbar?

Under the File menu is control-i the shortcut for "VI Properties" or "Global Properties" or something else?