Which computer is the VI running on?

Here's a trick I've used to tell which computer my Labview exe is running on:

post-4616-0-45250700-1308918347_thumb.pn

Most of the computers at my workplace have two ethernet connections, local and network. All network addresses around here begin with "172" so I use that to distinguish the two.

This works as long as the connection of interest (Local, preferably, since that connection is not so intermittent :wacko:) is maintained. Alternatively - on SOME computers but not all - I've found that using the network address works, even when IP number 0 is fed to the IP to String function. That function knows, on some computers, the computer's name (e.g. "Paulsdesktop") even when fed a 0.

But I'm sure somebody out there has a better way to tell which computer you're running on. What is it?

Edited by torekp

A custom windows environment variable could do the trick. Attached is code that I have used a couple times to see which machine it's on.

J2ifr.png

Keep in mind, LabVIEW will not see a new variable without being restarted.

//Edit

Not good if you're only interested in IP address obviously.

Edited by jkuehn

Thanks guys. I don't really need the IP addresses; that was just the only way I knew how to ID the computer.

John, can I do your trick in LV 8.5? I can't seem to find the "Environment" property.

jkuehn, How do I tell Windows to set a custom environment variable? Is there a Windows system file that I edit?

jkuehn, How do I tell Windows to set a custom environment variable? Is there a Windows system file that I edit?

It varies a bit from OS to OS, but it's something along the lines of this (Windows 7). Right click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables...

Then you are presented with user variables and system variables that you can modify all you want.

• Like 1

something along the lines of this (Windows 7). Right click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables...

Yup, thanks. Basically the same on XP. Instead of defining a custom variable, though, I just put

cmd /c echo %ComputerName%

in the string, and otherwise identical to your block diagram. :thumbup1: Thanks again.

Edited by torekp