True comment ability

I would like a way to comment stuff out of my code so that it is not visible to the compiler. Just like you would normally be able to do in a text-based language. I've wanted this since just about day one of using LabVIEW and have had a hard time wondering how hard in the world it could really be to implement.

A "comment" structure would allow for uncompilable code, broken wires... whatever you wanted. It would be a true comment, not a comment that must be compileable, as is the case for a case structure wired false, in which:

• The LabVIEW compiler still 'sees' the code
  • The LabVIEW compiler will try and compile the code
  • Your program can't run if your 'commented out' code is not compileable
  • Any VI's that you 'comment out' and want to simply have available for reference, are loaded into memory (and compiled).

In C++ the compiler doesn't even know commented code exists--LabVIEW has no equivalent.

Check out this post. There is a solution there for you.  ;)

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=356

1859[/snapback]

Well I've heard rumors of such things before... My request then would be to add support for this feature so we can have it on the palette and don't have to cut/paste it from some other VI. Obviously without message boards I would never be able to use this feature in my native LabVIEW environment. How come I find myself cut/pasting the features I want in LabVIEW instead of NI just giving them to us... rrrrr..... :angry:

Well I've heard rumors of such things before...  My request then would be to add support for this feature so we can have it on the palette and don't have to cut/paste it from some other VI.  Obviously without message boards I would never be able to use this feature in my native LabVIEW environment.  How come I find myself cut/pasting the features I want in LabVIEW instead of NI just giving them to us... rrrrr.....  :angry:

1878[/snapback]

The official reason is that it is not yet ready (buggy ?) for release on LV7.x [other than PDA] (there was a thread about this a while back on info labview).

Regarding how to make it accessible in your palette, this is quite easy. Customize your palette, add the VI with the comment structure then make sure to set merge VI (RMB).

PJM