What's New in LabVIEW 2011: Accelerate Your Productivity

Hrm... and there is a download link to LV 2011... well, there goes my weekend.

Tim

Well, I've got LV2011 downloaded, installed and configured. I mass compiled my current project, loaded the project and proceeded to send in my first SR for LV2011. Uh oh...:wacko:

I received a pop-up on loading the project stating:

Compiler error. Report this problem to National Instruments Tech Support.

Dynamic IUse Node has no reference VI to call. Node = 0x0000000B

Tim

It's cool to see issues fixed that: I've posted (got CAR) or have affected me. One of the more interesting fixes for me is:

214860 — Build path too long when building application

This has been a problem since introducing the new exe structure in LV2009 (which was an awesome new feature). I look forward to looking at this in detail.

I'm most excited about the apparent IDE speed increases. Though this little diddy is also great news:

post-11742-0-00742600-1312205621_thumb.j

In particular:

Execution Details

This node exhibits the following execution behaviors:

• Does not require the user interface thread to be idle
  • Like 1

Is there a way to "mix" versions 2010 and 2011. I tested some things today, and afterwards LV2010 didn't want to open my project anymore. Nothing that a "SVN revert" cannot solve.

But what does it do to VIs? Anyone has any suggestions how to use both versions at the same time? Or is don't the only option?

Br, Mike

But what does it do to VIs? Anyone has any suggestions how to use both versions at the same time? Or is don't the only option?

Yea, don't is the only option. It extends beyond the source code from my experience to where you have to compile a LabVIEW DLL in the same version of LabVIEW you are using to call it.

Tim

Each version will look for relevant DLL from NI in the resource folder under the version's executable path -- unless you've specifically set any of the Call Function Nodes to other particular locations for the DLLs.

If you use SVN you can always commit the 2010 version and name that rev accordingly the, when you want to open THAT rev in 2010, open 2010 first, then load the lvproj file from within that interface. If you just double click on the lvproj or VI file the last loaded version of LV will load and try to open the file.

Execution Details

This node exhibits the following execution behaviors:

• Does not require the user interface thread to be idle

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. No more will my users be able to 'pause' dynamic VI launching by dropping down a menu and not selecting anything...

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. No more will my users be able to 'pause' dynamic VI launching by dropping down a menu and not selecting anything...

I'm fairly sure that the Open VI Reference primitive still has the root loop requirement, so if you're using that to get the reference just before running the VI, you would still have the same issue.

A graph was presented at NI Week. I'll see if I can dig up the reference or maybe someone else here knows. I just got in from my flight back home and it's REALLY late....wacko.gif

I love how both the graph in this article and the one presented at NI Week have no Y-Axis labels. Also love the bar graph during the Tuesday keynote that was only upwards trending. No title or labels. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the features seem cool. It's just hard to buy into a better bug reporter as a key feature...