Who inspires you?

crelf

If you know any UTS alumni that might be a good candidate for the International Alumni Award, then I'm sure they're apprecaite you nominating them here... Maybe someone you know who, oh, I don't know, graduated their physics degree in 1995? Someone who is one of the administrators of the largest independant LabVIEW community in the world? Know anyone like that?

If you know any UTS alumni that might be a good candidate for the International Alumni Award, then I'm sure they're apprecaite you nominating them here... Maybe someone you know who, oh, I don't know, graduated their physics degree in 1995? Someone who is one of the administrators of the largest independant LabVIEW community in the world? Know anyone like that?

We tick the Young Alumni Award box, right?

post-10325-0-72848900-1312596214_thumb.p

they ask for your phone number and e-mail, if you want, send me those via private message.

Fab

You forgot Lady Gaga.

I don't think I would be able to pick her out of a police line-up.

When young I was very bad with author names so I may be wrong but I believe the author was "Kierkegard" that wrote about a knight. It was given to me by one of my philosphy professors (the one that used to room with Mel Brooks when young) when I was going through a rough time while trying to complete my degree while still being a single parent and the rest. It inspired me to complete my studies.

So add Kerkegard to my list.

If I got the name right most people cite him as examples of "being way out there" but I felt like he was writting for me.

I wonder what I did with that book?

Ben

When young I was very bad with author names so I may be wrong but I believe the author was "Kierkegard" that wrote about a knight. It was given to me by one of my philosphy professors (the one that used to room with Mel Brooks when young) when I was going through a rough time while trying to complete my degree while still being a single parent and the rest. It inspired me to complete my studies.

It's a good thing you didn't come across "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", then. I read it while in college and it almost inspired me to drop out.

I wonder what I did with that book?

I've hidden "ZAMM" until after my daughter gets thru high school and college...

It's a good thing you didn't come across "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", then. I read it while in college and it almost inspired me to drop out.

I've hidden "ZAMM" until after my daughter gets thru high school and college...

I love that book. I was young enough when I first read it that I was half-way through before I realized it was a philosophical treatise. What about it made you consider dropping out of college?

I love that book. I was young enough when I first read it that I was half-way through before I realized it was a philosophical treatise. What about it made you consider dropping out of college?

Hmm. It's been a year or two (or 30!) since I read it. My vague recollection is there was some emphasis on hands-on, real world knowledge verses book learning. And plus I probably was looking for any excuse to drop out. :P

I should probably reread it. Hopefully it won't inspire me to quit my job. :)

Hmm. It's been a year or two (or 30!) since I read it. My vague recollection is there was some emphasis on hands-on, real world knowledge verses book learning. And plus I probably was looking for any excuse to drop out. :P

I should probably reread it. Hopefully it won't inspire me to quit my job. :)

If you are looking NOT to find reasons to quit your job then NOW is a very BAD time to read Atlas Shrugged.

ZAMM was one of those books that I was recomended to read but never did.

Ben

If you are looking NOT to find reasons to quit your job then NOW is a very BAD time to read Atlas Shrugged.

ZAMM was one of those books that I was recomended to read but never did.

Ben

Yikes, I actually just started Atlas Shrugged :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a note I kept from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (I've added some of my own ideas to it). The Hypothesis (1) and Expirement (1) sections are to be repeated as required. I've had this in my Emacs folder forever, and it has helped a few times.

zen experimenting

. begin -

. Statement of the problem

. Early observations

. Hypothesis (1) -

. Experiment (1) designed to test this hypothesis

. Equipment

. Procedure

. Predicted result of the experiment

. Observed result of the experiment

. Conclusion

. Recommendations

. Conclusion

[/CODE]

Jim

• 1 month later...

Yikes, I actually just started Atlas Shrugged blink.gif

Go ahead and finish Atlas Shrugged. Very long read but Ayn Rand's writings are deep and profound. I don't agree with everything she says but damn, I hang on every word she has written. She was a prophet. She will make you think like no other. :shifty: I loved Atlas Shrugged BTW.

• Like 1

Go ahead and finish Atlas Shrugged. Very long read but Ayn Rand's writings are deep and profound. I don't agree with everything she says but damn, I hang on every word she has written. She was a prophet. She will make you think like no other. :shifty: I loved Atlas Shrugged BTW.

Same here. Her philosophy made me think (a good thing) but I would have loved to sit down and talk to her about some other things.

I was driven to finish it as soon as possible. Customers were inviting me out to dinner and I was declining telling them I wanted to get back to reading "to find out what is going to happen tomorow".

I have about a 10,000 page backlog of reading piled up but AS is gong to get another read.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I read both Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead soon after I started my business.

Those books made me feel I was on to something...

I couldn't make it through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Most of the time I was thinking "Get to the Freeking point!"

The worst time to read a book in a bad situation IMHO is Catch 22. I was working at a crappy job at the time. Made me feel hopeless... It's a good book, I read it at the wrong time..

Edited by ASTDan
  • Like 1
The worst time to read a book in a bad situation IMHO is Catch 22. I was working at a crappy job at the time. Made me feel hopeless... It's a good book, I read it at the wrong time..

I stumbled across that book about a week ago and was about to start readin it. Lucky my job is awesome :)

I thought Catch-22 was great, but it had a huge lull toward that end that turned me off.

I've read both 1984 and Brave New World in chunks, but never end-to-end. Both are depressing in that I see them as very real futures (at least in the United States...).

While not in the vein of depressing books, I thought Animal Farm was an interesting observation of societal evolution.

My opinion: 1984 > Animal Farm > Brave New World

I haven't read Catch-22.

[...] Both are depressing in that I see them as very real futures (at least in the United States...).

Interesting, because (I believe that) all three were written in Great Britian. The human condition is universal, I guess.