Programatically Adjusting Build Specs

So, I have a tricky, but theoretically simple goal... I would like to ensure that when I build packed library (or any other format of plugin / source distribution), that the build version is set to the same number of my top level library. This way, both within and outside labview I can have everything see the correct version number.

Right now, I have to remember to set bot the lvlib/lvclass version number before running my build, so I started thinking "there must be a better way". I got a chunk of the way there, using various property nodes, and a Pre-Build VI, but I seem to be missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

I have attached one of my attempts, in the hope that maybe one of you guys might be able to help me get to my goal here :)

(I'm also open to tackling the problem from the other side, getting the build spec version and making the lvlib match)

Shaun

Pre-Build Action (attempt 1).vi

So, I have a tricky, but theoretically simple goal... I would like to ensure that when I build packed library (or any other format of plugin / source distribution), that the build version is set to the same number of my top level library. This way, both within and outside labview I can have everything see the correct version number.

Right now, I have to remember to set bot the lvlib/lvclass version number before running my build, so I started thinking "there must be a better way". I got a chunk of the way there, using various property nodes, and a Pre-Build VI, but I seem to be missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

I have attached one of my attempts, in the hope that maybe one of you guys might be able to help me get to my goal here :)

(I'm also open to tackling the problem from the other side, getting the build spec version and making the lvlib match)

Shaun

Hey Shaun

I have an API for interacting with the project, I do similar things with builds for exes and installers so I thought I'd give PPL a go and see if it works.

I was able to get it to go however, I don't use the AppBuilder_API (I have never really), instead I use PN's and set the XML tags.

You should be able to replicate from this quick video:

<object id="scPlayer" width="1150" height="815" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LabVIEW%202010/media/37d3ee95-c471-4465-b73f-86cb2417a0c4/jingswfplayer.swf" > <param name="movie" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LabVIEW%202010/media/37d3ee95-c471-4465-b73f-86cb2417a0c4/jingswfplayer.swf" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <param name="flashVars" value="thumb=http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LabVIEW%202010/media/37d3ee95-c471-4465-b73f-86cb2417a0c4/FirstFrame.jpg&containerwidth=1150&containerheight=815&content=http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LabVIEW%202010/media/37d3ee95-c471-4465-b73f-86cb2417a0c4/Build%20PPL%20Build%20Spec.swf&blurover=false" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="scale" value="showall" /> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="base" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LabVIEW%202010/media/37d3ee95-c471-4465-b73f-86cb2417a0c4/" /> Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required. </object>

• Like 1

Hey Shaun

I have an API for interacting with the project, I do similar things with builds for exes and installers so I thought I'd give PPL a go and see if it works.

I was able to get it to go however, I don't use the AppBuilder_API (I have never really), instead I use PN's and set the XML tags.

You should be able to replicate from this quick video:

That's sweet. I'm not a great fan of the app builder API either. At what point does the build.vi get executed? Is it run whenever you create a new project? (wasn't clear from the video which I had to scroll around to see...lol)

That's sweet. I'm not a great fan of the app builder API either. At what point does the build.vi get executed? Is it run whenever you create a new project? (wasn't clear from the video which I had to scroll around to see...lol)

In the video the build script gets run @ 0:30s mark - its when the VI comes into focus (and I hit run but unfortunately it was to the left, offscreen).

Typically, you would run a build script like this anytime you want to create a build.

The script will handle e.g. synchronizing an exe's version to an installer(s) version or maybe run tests, move files around to handle 2009's new layout and error 6 (which has been fixed in 2011!) etc...

2010 released a feature where you can code pre/post build action VIs, I haven't checked these out in too much detail, and I already used to using a script

Thanks! That's great - I was looking into the tags, but could not see the fix/build numbers, so wasnt sure if I was in the right place (In the end, I'm presuming they were not there as those numbers are currently 0).

I'll give that a try this morning and see how I get on- thanks again!

Thanks! That's great - I was looking into the tags, but could not see the fix/build numbers, so wasnt sure if I was in the right place (In the end, I'm presuming they were not there as those numbers are currently 0).

No probs, glad you got your script to work - and yes that is correct, those tags are not included if value == 0.

Dammit... I spoke to soon - the build spec does get updated in the Pre-Build VI, but it only comes into affect on the NEXT build (so when I was testing it seemed to be working, as I was running it all over and over again ;) )

I bet if I made a stand alone builder (like yours) it would all work, but trying to hook into the regular build action seems to be a failure (in this case)

...If only there were a way to get the ref to the running build spec...

Dammit... I spoke to soon - the build spec does get updated in the Pre-Build VI, but it only comes into affect on the NEXT build (so when I was testing it seemed to be working, as I was running it all over and over again ;) )

I bet if I made a stand alone builder (like yours) it would all work, but trying to hook into the regular build action seems to be a failure (in this case)

Yes the building build spec runs in a different application instance. Maybe you can get your prebuild action to spit out a ref to its own application.

I haven't checked your new script, and this is just off the top of my head, but if the Pre-Build VI saves the Project, does the change persist for that time its run?

• 2 years later...