Timer and storage format queries

Prak

1. Which timing function (VI) is the best choice for timing control logic in applications that run for extended periods of time,small period of time and please inform why?

a. Tick count(ms)

b. wait(ms)

c. wait until next(ms)

d. Get date/Time in seconds

e. Format date/time string

2. You must store data that other engineers must analyze with Microsoft Excel. Which file storage format should you use?

a. Tab-delimited ASCII

b. Custom binary format

c. TDM

d. Datalog

Please specify any good materials related to above asked questions.

Any reference material related to above topic would have been really helpful.

Why don't you tell us more about your specific application. At the moment it just looks you're writing a paper and you want us to do your research for you.

These are questions from the online CLAD example, and people have probably asked about it before. Do a search for "CLAD questions" or for the text of the question itself.

My answer to #2 would be "none of the above". Good thing I've never taken the CLAD.

Still curious why one would need reference material...

OP probably just wants some background reading, instead of just an answer.

Very well could be! But mentioning that up front would have been nice. Especially since he/she is a first time poster.

Going back to work now...

Yair..Searching is Not helping :(...

-------------------------

500 club : Ans to #2 is Tab-delimited ASCII.... lol :D...Thanks for u'r honest reply :)...

Why??? dont know yet.When to use TDM,Binary format???Still dont know in depth.

------------------------

#1 for extended period of time ans is Get date\time in seconds.But for Small period of time my ans revolves between "wait until next ms multiple" and "Get date\time in seconds"??? :)...Any Suggestions would be really helpful.

------------------

500 club : Ans to #2 is Tab-delimited ASCII.... lol :D...Thanks for u'r honest reply :)...

I know NI's answer to #2. My answer would have been a CSV file. It's readable by anything, Excel included. And has the benefit that the character that is separating your data is obvious in any text reader. But that's just me...

While we love to help here, we get a fair share of posts from people who don't want to learn, but just want us to do their school project for them. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

• Like 1

I know NI's answer to #2. My answer would have been a CSV file...

We use CSV files a ton (too much) here too, but be warned: CSVs don't like Europe (or Europe doesn't like CSVs) - any country that uses commas as a decimal separator can't use commas as a column separator. After being bitten by this years ago all my text logging code allows for a re-configurable separator and file extension.

Jaegen

• Like 2

500 club : I was preparing for CLAD but the above written question was leading to, too many qun's and ans from my perspective...

thanks for ur reply and the efforts :) ...

And my personal suggesstion out of the box. "LabVIEW for Everyone" is the book which shows u the mistakes we generally make as a beginner...I was enjoying it than reading it...Thats just me :)...

I have wrote the CLAD n waiting for results...If i fail ill come up with more qun's :)...Adios