LAVA Gets an Upgrade

lava

I flipped a switch. Can you check if it loads the mobile theme on Android now?

Boo. I guess I should have been more specific. The old forum had such a busted mobile version where so little could be done, and never allowed you to force a full version. When I saw the mobile version delivered to my phone was so nice and functional, I was happy. Only later did I realize it was the full version of the site.

The new mobile version seems functional, though it will be annoying we can't switch back to full version on larger "mobile" devices (tablets).

What large devices in specific are you referring to?

Specifically any of the Android tablets. I know Invision has created an iOS application and is apparently great, but they've neglected the Android platform to date, so all we have is whatever interface is presented via the standard browser. The old mobile skin was pretty dumbed down as far as features go, and try as I did, couldn't find a way to force the full version of the site.

Maybe the new mobile skin works great, and is perfectly functional, I haven't had the chance to test it out since the switch was pulled to force it, so please don't think I'm being critical. Yet. ;)

I generally like refreshed logo and new theme. However the pink color on "unread" page distracts too much...

Aww man, I hadn't noticed that ... What has been seen...

The old mobile skin was pretty dumbed down as far as features go, and try as I did, couldn't find a way to force the full version of the site.

Being Android, I'd be surprised if someone hadn't written an app that spoofs User Agent, but maybe not ...

Maybe the new mobile skin works great, and is perfectly functional, I haven't had the chance to test it out since the switch was pulled to force it, so please don't think I'm being critical. Yet. ;)

It works very well. Try it out.

There's no way to switch it off for Android tablets, or even by screen size. They have a switch for iPads only.

So in general, It seems everyone is happy with the new design and features?

But I am afraid I to miss the portal view, specifically on a Monday or if I am out of work a couple of days. I like to see what has been posted over the last ... well however long I have been away really, I then first thing do a quick read through well skim through, some of the things that look interesting and make a mental note of things I want to read in more detail later in the day. In the portal view there are still there in that same view to come back to later.

In the unread contents view those items have now gone as I have looked at them.

Not true. You can do what you want with the new Unread Contents page. Just click on the date you desire on the left. You will then see all your items. They will never go away. You can preview read each item (without setting the read flag) by clicking the little arrow next to each post title. Any items you have already read will have the light grey background.

It's pretty nice.

• Like 1

Not true. You can do what you want with the new Unread Contents page. Just click on the date you desire on the left. You will then see all your items. They will never go away. You can preview read each item (without setting the read flag) by clicking the little arrow next to each post title. Any items you have already read will have the light grey background.

It's pretty nice.

The cool thing is the settings persist from full site to the mobile version (I can't see where to change then on mobile version) - now I have mobile 'portal' - love it.

• Like 1

<nitpick>

Something about the upgrade, and perhaps the theme LAVA is using, is causing the text of a post to be indented slightly around the user info/avatar section. It only shows up if there's enough content in the post to reach below the div, like dannyt's post above:

post-932-0-47466900-1313600908.png

Here's what it looks like if I click and drag to select content in Chrome:

post-932-0-34717000-1313600913.png

You can clearly see that the border around the "author-info" div is forcing the post content to the right.

Obviously not a major issue, but it's a bit distracting.

Otherwise, I love the upgrade.

</nitpick>

EDIT: My pictures didn't show up first try...

Edited by jaegen
Not true. You can do what you want with the new Unread Contents page. Just click on the date you desire on the left. You will then see all your items. They will never go away. You can preview read each item (without setting the read flag) by clicking the little arrow next to each post title. Any items you have already read will have the light grey background. It's pretty nice.

OK :D

I am getting there with the new unread contents pages, I see it potential.

So have a like from me :thumbup1: plus this is my 301 post yippeee

• Like 1

So I'm not a fan of the new color scheme, but I do loved the features of the mobile version of the site! Most of my interaction with LAVA is from the RSS feed, then the site through IE, but now Ki can do almost anything {including admin stuff) on my Droid X2 :-)

So I'm not a fan of the new color scheme, but I do loved the features of the mobile version of the site! Most of my interaction with LAVA is from the RSS feed, then the site through IE, but now Ki can do almost anything {including admin stuff) on my Droid X2 :-)

Yer, the iPhone App has some Mod functions too.

I accidentally deleted someones post (went to hit Quote but obviously missed!) but had to get to a PC to restore it.