Show us your desktop

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Here is my work desktop (only 3 labview version in here)

PJM

1980[/snapback]

Nice desktop clock. :thumbup: Were can I get one?

I use LV 6.1 mostly. Looked at 7.0 but nothing worth the money.

Still have LV 5.1 on the computer, lots of old jobs, and a copy of LV 4.1 around somewhere

This company's been using LV since '85 so some of the real old stuff is LV 3.1. I have the floppies but never needed them. (needs Win3.1) And originally AMI was in Quick Basic running on Dos.

But some of our customers are using each of these!

So my office is a Labview and DOS museum.

Showing your desktop is like showing your sock drawer.

You know everyones got one and uses it everyday.

But it's kind-of personal and only you can find things in it.

post-2910-1126280943.png?width=400

Related topic/poll:

What is your Desktop Icon and Shortcut philosophy?

A)Hate them, need a clean screen to think.

B)Make nice logical Groups.

C)Try to beat them back to one row per edge.

D)Spring clean when the picture is hard to makeout.

E)I love my icons! I just make 'em, I can't bring myself to kill one.

F)other_____________

I drifted from a B into a C.

-Bill

This company's been using LV since '85 so some of the real old stuff is LV 3.1. 

Your company has probably been using Labview since '95, not '85. If they have been using LabView since '85, you should advise your company lawyers to have some discussions with NI's lawyers :rolleyes: , or something like that! BTW, I'm ALWAYS doing the "decade off" type of math error - I'm unsure if I'm having more issues with my own age or the new millennium!

;)

Related topic/poll: 

What is your Desktop Icon and Shortcut philosiphy?   

F)other_____________ 

I oscillate between C and D, but the duty cycle is NOT 50%. Actually, the function is probably most like a "sawtooth wave".

For the sake of the original "spirit" of the thread, I offer the following:

Desktop:

post-2931-1126292733.jpg?width=400

Laptop:

post-2931-1126292794.jpg?width=400

-Pete Liiva

Related topic/poll:

What is your Desktop Icon and Shortcut philosiphy? 

F)other_____________

-Bill

6058[/snapback]

Icons on desktop are bad form in my opinion.

I hide them all, How can you find anything like that? Very messy and useless. How many applications do you really use on a daily basis? Put those in the root of your start menu. It's hard to think clearly and you can easily click on them by accident when programming. I like a clean slate. No need to delete them, just turn them off globaly:

post-2-1126302484.gif?width=400

Icons on desktop are bad form in my opinion.

I hide them all, How can you find anything like that? Very messy and useless. How many applications do you really use on a daily basis? Put those in the root of your start menu. It's hard to think clearly and you can easily click on them by accident when programming. I like a clean slate. No need to delete them, just turn them off globaly:

6067[/snapback]

Ah, then you're a type A, closet Icon user! :ninja:

You have them but you won't show them, else you wouldn't need to turn them off. ;)

( Sometimes it is nice just to see the picture as it was intended)

-Bill

Ah, then you're a type A, closet Icon user!  :ninja: 

You have them but you won't show them, else you wouldn't need to turn them off. ;)  

( Sometimes it is nice just to see the picture as it was intended)

-Bill

6068[/snapback]

Yes, picture as intended... But I am not a closet user since I don't actually use them.

Related topic/poll:

What is your Desktop Icon and Shortcut philosophy? 

6058[/snapback]

F) other - the desktop is never visible long enough to see any icons

And although it's not directly relevant, with coLinux and cygwin there's a free alternative to VMware if you want to get Windows / Linux LV sessions running side-by-side. Best of both worlds: all the ease-of-use that Linux provides, combined with the legendary stability of Windows!

Nice desktop clock. :thumbup:  Were can I get one?

6058[/snapback]

Since this is a LabVIEW board, here is a quickly written clock similar to that one, windows only.

It includes transparency, a round window, the ability to be always on top, and the ability to be moved by clicking anywhere inside the VI.

I used code from LTR, LVWutil32 and LAVA to do the window shape, always on topping and transparency, but since they all call user32.dll (as far as I could tell), I think it should work as is. I don't use it myself (I believe in a clean computer. If I want the time, I have it in the corner of the screen), but if anyone thinks this is nice and would like to improve it, I wouldn't mind seeing the results.

Download File:post-1431-1126381117.llb

Since this is a LabVIEW board, here is a quickly written clock similar to that one, windows only.

It includes transparency, a round window, the ability to be always on top, and the ability to be moved by clicking anywhere inside the VI.

6078[/snapback]

Very Nice! Now if only it would remove transparency when I hovered over it with the mouse and then return transparency when I remove the mouse. I would program it myself but I think the Mouse Enter event is only available in 7.1. Hmm, you could possibly create a timeout event and monitor if the mouse enters one of the dial controls.

I would program it myself but I think the Mouse Enter event is only available in 7.1.

6080[/snapback]

Actually, I think it even existed in 6.1. This VI already uses the mouse leave event. You can copy the transparent VI with the input into the mouse leave event and then duplicate the case for the mouse enter event and feed 255 into the VI. The problem is that the white backgrounds remain transparent when you do this and only return to white when you stop the VI.

This VI would actually be portable into 6.1, but that didn't include the mouse input VIs used to move the window around. Those could probably be worked around using mouse events (move, up, down, leave), but I don't feel like it.

Like I said, this program was written rather quickly, so the result isn't perfect, and there are some problems porting. One example is that I now opened it on another computer and the minimize and close buttons have different sizes (They could be replaced with buttons with images). Some other improvements could be making it resizable, getting rid of the taskbar button, maybe adding a taskbar icon and using a string instead of the array for display (again, quickly written).

OK, here's another version. It becomes opaque when you enter the window (I had to replace the checkbox for that) and uses a string instead of the array, which looks better.

Implementing the resizing will be more complicated, because it involves making sure that the window does not become too small and will probably require turning the VI into a state machine.

Download File:post-1431-1126426494.llb

OK, here's another version. It becomes opaque when you enter the window (I had to replace the checkbox for that) and uses a string instead of the array, which looks better.

Implementing the resizing will be more complicated, because it involves making sure that the window does not become too small and will probably require turning the VI into a state machine.

6084[/snapback]

There actually does seem to be a problem - it seems there is a bug (at least in 7.0) where minimizing a window programmatically causes mouse enter and leave events to stop responding until you enter another LV window. This means that if you make it into an EXE, you can't minimize and preserve the transparency (which now relies on the enter and leave events). I posted an example here.

Another thing I noticed is that I couldn't get rid of the second task bar window in the EXE, even when using hiderootwindow=true. I'm assuming that an application where the top level VI does not have xxx (probably the title bar) must have the extra window to keep the RTE open.

And one more addition - a VI that hides the taskbar button. Like I said in my last post, for some reason the LV window did not disappear in the EXE, so using this only causes one of the buttons to disappear, but if you do this inside LV, the button will disappear. You can call this VI when the clock VI stops running and it when it stops, the window will return to normal. Minimizing the window in this situation causes it to become a "floating window" which can be restored.

Download File:post-1431-1126443834.vi

And one more addition - a VI that hides the taskbar button. Like I said in my last post, for some reason the LV window did not disappear in the EXE, so using this only causes one of the buttons to disappear, but if you do this inside LV, the button will disappear. You can call this VI when the clock VI stops running and it when it stops, the window will return to normal. Minimizing the window in this situation causes it to become a "floating window" which can be restored.

6089[/snapback]

You can hide the LabVIEW button, by adding the following to your app's INI file:

HideRootWindow=TRUE

You can hide the LabVIEW button, by adding the following to your app's INI file:

HideRootWindow=TRUE

6091[/snapback]

As I mentioned one post earlier, I already tried that. I know that trick (used it quite a few times) and I did have Clock.exe, Clock.ini and inside the ini file a section names [Clock], but it didn't work.

Like I said there, my guess was that this was because my top level VI was missing something (the title bar?), but maybe I made a mistake.

Did you try building it into an exe and using that line (without the addition of the latest VI)?

It all sounds very interesting. Especially the Transparent window functions. I wonder if someone with LV 7.0 could convert the Clock.llb back to LV6.1 and drop a copy here.

-Thanx.

By the way I have Nova Clock now. Very nice. Also I found a bit of freeware called Glass Effect (installer attached) That can pop-up over any program and adjust its transparency. Also very nice. Good for unplanned, temporary uses, like comparing two similar graphs or documents by loading both and making one transparent. An electronic version of holding the printouts up to the light on top of each other.

Back on topic, on my desktop now I like a very large Digital NovaClock set to 95% transparent, always on top, and with Click through. It makes an almost subliminal time and date display in the background of whatever you're doing, like this:

post-2910-1126458456.png?width=400

-Bill

(are .exe attachments blocked?)

Download File:post-2910-1126458706.zip