My boneheaded code of the day

Daklu

I recently added this bit of code in my application. As part of my unit testing I was sending a value of "10" to the Pin Number terminal. When the test failed I probed the integer output and was surprised to find the function interpreting the string as binary instead of decimal! It was returning 2, not 10.

Took me about 10 minutes to figure out what the real problem is.

post-7603-0-78558400-1313852149.png

• Like 2

I had something similar recently, when I wanted to get the first byte from a string:

post-1431-0-16152100-1313922791.png

Unfortunately, I couldn't test this myself with the hardware, so I first found it after I remotely deployed it and found out something wasn't working. At first I didn't have debug data, so my initial reaction was to blame the hardware, which had both problematic documentation and a flaky history. Sigh.

That would have been even harder to find had the input consisted of only 2 bytes...

Uh, it was actually even harder than that, because the string only had 1 byte, so I was sure the device wasn't sending anything back (why I was getting the first byte of a 1-byte string is irrelevant here, although there was an actual reason for this). Well, I guess that's what happens when you're asked to do something quickly.

• 2 weeks later...