Introducing BabVIEW: Chat Room Clent/Server

jpdrolet

Hi

I was bored tonight so I decided to wire this small Chat Room Client/Server Application. I named it BabVIEW (how silly and not original, I know...).

Users that run the attached client and connect to the server running on my PC will be able to chat live. Well they are supposed to... I didn't test it with multiple clients over the Internet.

Who will have the honor to be the first to connect?

I might post the server code if all goes as expected.

Download File:post-447-1096436681.vi

Hi

Users that run the attached client and connect to the server running on my PC will be able to chat live. Well they are supposed to... I didn't test it with multiple clients over the Internet.

2048[/snapback]

Hi,

I'm trying do something like that, but i only change data information of the DAQ board., its a control and monitoring system. I'm able to connected several clients but its very slow because i use a cycle "for" to send information for all clients connected and for the last my clients that delay is big, how can you treat with this question in your code?

but your idea it's fantastic, congratilations :worship:

Hi,

I'm trying do something like that, but i only change data information of the DAQ board., its a  control and monitoring system. I'm able to connected several clients but its very slow  because i use a cycle "for" to send information for all clients connected and for the last my clients that delay is big, how can you treat with this question in your code?

but your idea it's fantastic, congratilations :worship:

2053[/snapback]

Paulo,

for each client connection I run an instance of a reentrant VI that handles that connection. These connection handlers run in parallel so when a new message line has to be sent, the "TCP Write" functions all write in parallel for each connection. A slow connection won't slow down other connections like it would happen if you write to all connections in sequence in a for loop.

For the moment, when a new message line is received on one client connection, it is sent to a notification. Other connection handlers wait for this notification and send the message over their own connection. This notifier scheme is not robust enough since messages are lost/overwritten when many messages are notified rapidly, faster than they can be sent over client connection. I'll have to use some queued scheme.

Jean-Pierre

If I'm allowed to make the first comment...

A List of online users would be nice, actually you write into the dark, possibly reaching nobody.

Didier

2051[/snapback]

Of course it needs a lot more features. User list and connection/deconnection messages are the first to come to mind. Then multiple chat rooms and personal messaging...

That was a proof of concept, something I started to wire from scratch at 10PM and was working by 2AM. Could it be achieve that fast in any other language? :thumbup: :beer:

Hello

I'd analyses your application... and it's fantastic, you perceive a lot of Labview. i passed several hours to unde rstand your application and don't understand lots of thinks. :book:

I don't understand i you use wait on notification, i never use those tools and don't know for that they serve but i'll read the help. one more douth if i want run other apllication in server how can i send the results of that application for all server? i think in your server you are able to write messages for all clients.

I'm putting my application in here for people test

It would appear an error at the end of simulation if you don't have a matlab

bye

Download File:post-645-1097068178.zip

I'd like to advertise my products on BabVIEW - How do I create pop-ups? Are you going to add pop-up Support? How about HTML while you're at it ;-)?

Great Idea, I had a professor tell me his students took my 'Robust TCP-IP' code from Labuseful and actually did audio chat.

2149[/snapback]

Actually I planned that users could upload and run VIs on other users' computer. You could do funny things like popups, opening CD trays when someone type a certain word, or a platform independant spambot. :laugh:

• 2 years later...

I was unable to connect (VI hung at the TCP Connect primitive. On a MacBook Pro in case that matters.

I also have questions about your use of the event structure, but being new to this forum I'm not sure if that is a welcome thing or not.

QUOTE(jpdrolet @ Sep 29 2004, 01:55 AM)

Hi

I was bored tonight so I decided to wire this small Chat Room Client/Server Application. I named it BabVIEW (how silly and not original, I know...).

I might post the server code if all goes as expected.

Also, you can have your questions about the event structure use, but I doubt you would get much from the answers. It's obvious the entire application was written quickly (4 hours at night) and so style was not the most important concern.

If you're looking for prime examples of how to use event structures, I wouldn't look at that one. It works fine, but it clearly wasn't designed up front with a lot of thought.

Okay, wearing lots of egg on my face on this one!!

I completely missed the date!

I'll pay more attention in the future.

Sorry for wasting some bandwidth on this one!

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 19 2007, 02:19 PM)

Also, you can have your questions about the event structure use, but I doubt you would get much from the answers. It's obvious the entire application was written quickly (4 hours at night) and so style was not the most important concern.

If you're looking for prime examples of how to use event structures, I wouldn't look at that one. It works fine, but it clearly wasn't designed up front with a lot of thought.