Has anyone implemented an intelligent auto scrolling string indicator

Mark Yedinak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks to all who responded. I found the solution in the thread Darrin posted above. I wish this functionality was built into LabVIEW but in the meantime I have a workable solution. Here is the test VI I was playing with to test it out.

I read this thread because the initial question was exactly what I needed.  This solution posted by Mark works for me.  However here is a question about it :

Can someone explain the color difference between the 2 property nodes inside this example? I can't select or find the property "Text.DocHeight" unless I copy the node from the example.  This Node is "light green" instead of "pale yellow". After searching a little bit about it I read about "labview scripting" and the fact that some properties will not be availlable when my application will be compiled for run-time engine execution. I tried to compile an .exe file with the example .vi and it works with LabVIEW 2013. Should I worry that it may stop working under certain circumstances when compiled?

Thank you

The blue-ish or green property or invoke nodes indicate scripting.  Saying "Scripting" is not available in the run-time engine is an absolute that is a little fuzzy at times.  Some functions are indeed only available at run-time.  Like the Save Instrument invoke node.  From a build EXE you don't have the ability to save a VI, so this function won't work in the run-time engine.  To know if your function specifically is supported in the run-time you can open the context help, and over over the function.  It will say if it is supported in the run-time engine and real-time.  If this function works in the run-time engine, then you should have no worries using it.

If you would like to enable scripting, so these functions can be used, other than copying the one you have, you can enable it by going to Tools >> Options.  Then under VI Server check the box that is Show VI Scripting functions.  Now your property and invoke nodes will have a lot more functions.

• Like 1