When I put just one of the devices in the PC I didn't have a problem. I made a driver using NI's VISA driver wizard. And I was able to read from the PCI configuration and BAR0 address spaces of the device using the VISA test panel in MAX.
However, when I plugged in the second DUT I started having a strange issue. I could still read from the configuration spaces from both devices, but one of the two DUTs always returned zero when I read from it's registers in the BAR0 address space, the other worked normally. No errors showed in Windows Device Manager.
So far I found a workaround that gets both cards working, but I still haven't figured out the root of the problem.
- Power up the PC with both cards installed
- After Windows boots up, switch off the power on one of the PCI-PMC adaptor cards
- Then in the Windows Device Manager click the "Scan for hardware changes" button and check that one of the cards is gone
- Switch the carrier card back on
- "Scan for hardware changes" again and click through Windows' "Found new Hardware" dialogue to re-install the driver