OpenG in Linux

Hello,

I managed to install VI Packet Manager in Ubuntu Oneiric and downloaded many libraries. The problem is I cannot see those libraries in my LabVIEW 2011. I saw Packet Builder is only available for Windows. The VIPM downloaded the ogp files and some other files under its cache folder but I have no idea how to access them in LabVIEW. This sounds extremely trivial and may be that is why I was not able to find the solution after searching for couple of hours. If there is no packet builder in Linux then why do we have VIPM? How do we use the downloaded libraries?

Thanks,

Şenol

You should be able to install the libraries with VIPM, just like on Windows.

So you'll need to take the following steps:

-Connect VIPM to LabVIEW with the correct VI-server port

-Select the correct LabVIEW version

-Select the packages you want to install, and select install.

Ton

It sounds like your palettes aren't being updated correctly? Have your tried restarting LabVIEW after installing the package?

I tried system restart as well. After system restart I noticed I have JKI on my right click menu but nothing else. Well this is something

The files should be installed into:

user.lib\_openg

Have you installed the dynamic palette library?

Ton

Whenever I try to install it connects to LabVIEW and then starts unpacking and all, then uninstalls it immediately. This happens with many of them and I don't get the LabVIEW symbol next to them. But there are some that have the LabVIEW icon next to them but there are no icons and they cannot be found by searching.

I can see the installed ones under user.lib (Thank you Ton), I have time comparison and some others already there. I have no idea why some of the packages are special :S

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Ubuntu since I changed a lot and it does not look stable. I will come back here if I still cannot install some of the libraries. But I think problem is not Ubuntu since some packages are installed...

Senol

I went through the same process recently (not on Ubuntu but on red hat enterprise). I believe what is happening is that some of the most recent packages are no longer compatible with the old VIPM version. There are two things that you could do about that:

• Install the package manually using the spec file inside the package (it is a tedious process)
  • install an older version of the package (a lot easier)

Now this does not fix all the issues since most specifically you will need a recent palette package to be able to see the the installed packages in your palette. For this one I am afraid the only solution for me was to install it manually. Note: when you install one pkg manually make sure it is never selected again in an installation process as a dependency or it will be uninstalled.

Good luck.

I installed another Ubuntu on Virtual Machine and after installing VI Package Manager I had the same problems that happened on my previous Ubuntu. I guess this installation (or things I did in order to be able to install) changes the permissions of /tmp somehow. Now that I noticed this, I installed array library and they are installed but not on the palette. I have the array.llb somewhere under user.lib.Since this library is already installed, if I install the latest version of dynamic palette manually I guess it should show everything that is already installed?

Edited by Senol Ozkan

You are correct about the permission issue. This is a know issue and after you use VIPM (if you do anything package related) you have to reset the permission to the temp directory to 777 (chmod 777 /tmp).

About the dynamic palette, the only workaround that I know (as I mention before) is to do a manual install using the spec flle.

Now this does not fix all the issues since most specifically you will need a recent palette package to be able to see the the installed packages in your palette.

It may be worth pointing out that the latest packages (4.x) do not use (hence, require) the Dynamic Palette package (as the Custom Category feature in VIPM was used). However, if you are installing older packages <4.x then the Dynamic Palette package will need to be installed.

Cheers

-JG