The best rules to localize an application

Hi everybody,

First of all I want to wish to anyone a happy new 2012!

Then, Could anyone suggest me a tutorial which explains the best rules to follow to build a successfull multilanguage (localized) application?

I have already read some documents on this matter, but the best solution I have found suggests using the "Export/Import string method" which actually isn't in my opinion the best solution to follow to develop an application which has to be maintened and improved by adding different langues and functionalities. Does anyone know if there is an alternative tutorial?

Thanks for the answer.

It's a nice solution but, I read that it's under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike license. I'm not a lawyer and my English creaks a lot, therefore here my question: can I use this code and distribute it with an application which purpose is to customize a device without run into law problems? The end user of this application doesn't buy the application but the device.

To be honest, I'm not a master of license interpretation either (isn't it better to ask forgiveness than permission? :P). I meant for you to see how someone else has done it, maybe to give you an idea of how to approach your problem. You might contact ShaunR directly to see what his take is on your circumstance.

(isn't it better to ask forgiveness than permission? :P).

Not when it comes to licenses. Asking for permission is free. Forgiveness is very expensive and involves lawyers.

Thanks for the answer.

It's a nice solution but, I read that it's under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike license. I'm not a lawyer and my English creaks a lot, therefore here my question: can I use this code and distribute it with an application which purpose is to customize a device without run into law problems? The end user of this application doesn't buy the application but the device.

PM me with your email address, and we'll sort out a commercial usage waiver to remove all doubt.