Create Child Class Project Tool

I successfully installed it with VI Package Manager (no error), but I can’t find it, either right-clicking or under Tools>>LAVA.

Looking for the files, I seem to be missing a \resource\Framework\Providers\CreateChildClass directory. Other files seem to have installed.

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

Its the first time I have used build hooks in anger with VIPM and there was a path that should have been relative but wasn't. It should have installed correctly on a 32-bit LabVIEW install on a x64 OS :) (which was the only machine I had to test it).

Do you mind trying again - I upload a new version in the OP.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Works now. Great work! I must have a hundred times though “Why can’t I just right-click a child class?"

Suggestions off the top off my head (no idea how hard any of it is to do):

1) Automatically open the Properties window of the new child (as that’s always the next step).

2) On the popup that asks for the child’s name, have checkbox options for:

— copy parent class icon to child

— copy parent private data control icon to child

Usually the child needs icons that are modifications of the parents icons, so this would save a lot of cut-and-paste.

— James

• Like 1

Works now. Great work! I must have a hundred times though “Why can’t I just right-click a child class?"

Suggestions off the top off my head (no idea how hard any of it is to do):

1) Automatically open the Properties window of the new child (as that’s always the next step).

2) On the popup that asks for the child’s name, have checkbox options for:

— copy parent class icon to child

— copy parent private data control icon to child

Usually the child needs icons that are modifications of the parents icons, so this would save a lot of cut-and-paste.

— James

Thanks for testing.

Great feedback, I will see what I can do. :)

I can definitely look at modifying icons, but would prefer using layers - unfortunately the Icon Editor API is not supported in 2011 as it was broken by the addition of PPL's and there is no plans to release it any time soon (I have been asking since beta but it is unsupported). I really like layers as it makes it easier to edit icons in the future.

2011 also includes some new scripting features and fixes so I am looking forward to releasing a few more LVOOP tools.

My plan is to break down some of the 2009 LVOOP Assistant features and get them working with Project Integration, which is more usable and will be faster to execute and easier to extend than just having one bulky tool.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you can hook into the New... menu and can control where in the project item is added. Is there a reason you didn't add the item to the New... menu? That's where I would expect to find it.

(I know that everything in the New... menu is added to the project item that is selected and this would be different. But that's still where I would expect to find this.)

• Like 1

Thanks you for this.

Glad you like it :)

I'm pretty sure you can hook into the New... menu and can control where in the project item is added. Is there a reason you didn't add the item to the New... menu? That's where I would expect to find it.

(I know that everything in the New... menu is added to the project item that is selected and this would be different. But that's still where I would expect to find this.)

Mike, thanks for the feedback.

It makes sense that New... is more intuitive.

However, my reason is that I intend is to keep adding tools under LVOOP Assistant menu item - so when a user installs a tool they know where to look etc...

I can always change it tho.

Hi Guys

I have implemented some feedback :)

Version 1.1.0:

- (there are no Icon Layers so the tool) Attempts to copy the Parent Icon theme to the Child (currently the Library banner created is 12x32 which is the default LabVIEW banner size). I'll work on this, for all those skinner banner users :P

- Opens the Class Properties dialog (thanks Mike!)

<!-- copy and paste. Modify height and width if desired. --> <object id="scPlayer" width="800" height="600" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LVOOP%20Assistant/media/171e6cc3-3ccc-4e70-a526-21d66f339b36/jingswfplayer.swf" > <param name="movie" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LVOOP%20Assistant/media/171e6cc3-3ccc-4e70-a526-21d66f339b36/jingswfplayer.swf" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <param name="flashVars" value="thumb=http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LVOOP%20Assistant/media/171e6cc3-3ccc-4e70-a526-21d66f339b36/FirstFrame.jpg&containerwidth=1005&containerheight=768&content=http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LVOOP%20Assistant/media/171e6cc3-3ccc-4e70-a526-21d66f339b36/LVOOP%20Assistant%20-%20Create%20Child%20Class%201.1.0.swf&blurover=false" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="scale" value="showall" /> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="base" value="http://content.screencast.com/users/jgcode/folders/LVOOP%20Assistant/media/171e6cc3-3ccc-4e70-a526-21d66f339b36/" /> Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.</object>

Cheers

-JG

lava_rsc_create_child_class-1.1.0.15.vip

For anyone interested...

I checked up on this, unfortunately you can't plug-in here - it's all generated in C (unless you have access to LabVIEW source :) ).

To plug-in in G, you can only do what I have done.