Grey

As i'm engaged with DAQ projects, i decided to go for buying new license of LabVIEW developer suite.

I want to use Industrial Computer to install LabVIEW software.

This Industrial PC i considered is for all developing work and trying to make EXE which i'm going to install other computers.(which are in ATE).

I have two questions here !

1. if i go for 64 bit compatible LabVIEW software, is this good than 32 Bit? How and why?

2.What are all the features an Industrial PC should have in it? (All hardware Point of view ..like PCI , PCI Expres slots, no of serial ports, parallelport, RJ45 slots, Processor info ...etc....)

if you are giving any contact for buying in India region that will be more helpful too for me !

thank you friends!

Please share your experience and suggestions about how you use one computer(software development) for developing multiple projects.

and what are all the problems you face normally if you do only software development without having the hardware. because the hardware i will connect at application area only not in design area!

1. if i go for 64 bit compatible LabVIEW software, is this good than 32 Bit? How and why?

64-bit will be faster ONLY IF you can take advantage of the 64-bit instructions, or optimizations in the processor. Otherwise the only advantage 64-bit operating system offers you is more memory (32-bit caps out at 4 GB). Most ATE does not require massive memory, so you'll have to evaluate based on your specific application.

2.What are all the features an Industrial PC should have in it? (All hardware Point of view ..like PCI , PCI Expres slots, no of serial ports, parallelport, RJ45 slots, Processor info ...etc....)

Depends on what you're trying to do and what hardware it requires. I've got some systems in the field that still require ISA slots for that one legacy board that no one wants to pay to replace; ISA has been "dead" for a couple decades. Lots of slots is good; I've yet to fill a 14-slot chassis, but come very close a couple of times.

• Like 1
What are all the features an Industrial PC should have in it? (All hardware Point of view ..like PCI , PCI Expres slots, no of serial ports, parallelport, RJ45 slots, Processor info ...etc....)

Maybe I don't understand your question, but, if your project needs to use a PCI slot in your application, buy a PC with at least 1 PCI slot. If your project needs to use a serial port, buy a PC with at least 1 serial port. etc...

In addition to what Tim_S said, another caveat of 64-bit LabVIEW is that most toolkits having not been ported to x64 yet. If you think you're going to use toolkits and are sure you need 64-bit LV, make sure the toolkit you need to 64-bit compatible before taking the plunge.

Whatever PC you get, try to get them from a supplier that can guarantee the hardware will be available for as long as possible without change. If a test PC fails and you can replace it with an identical PC on which you can mirror the hard drive image back on in the least time is a huge advantage. The cost of a production line being down for even a short period, outweighs any money saved on a cheap PC.

for a generic deveopment system this is the sort of thing I look for:

• As many slots as your desk can handle (14 is typical - mixed, PCI, PCIe of varying 1x, 8x etc)
  • AGP graphics card and slot (don't use up your precious PCI, PCIe slots)
  • at least 1x9-way Dtype serial port (most have two).
  • a parallel port (always handy for quick DIO).
  • As many USB as you can find (typically they come with 2-4 but there is usually support for more on the motherboard via a breakout to the rear-buy the breakout with the PC because they are hard to source separately).
  • At least 2x GB ethernet ports (make sure one is a "Intel Pro 1000" so that vision can use the NI high performance driver)
  • at least 1x RS485 port (make sure it supports 4 wire although usually you can get away with one that only support 2-wire for most things).
  • Fastest, meanest processor that the person who owns the purse strings will let you have.

Wordsworth are a safe bet in terms of support and product longevity for out of the box solutions (but expensive).

Protech are where all industrial PC manufacturers get their SBCs and backplanes from if you want to build your own.

Edited by ShaunR

Install both anyway, then if you run into problems with the 64bit (tookit not supported etc), you can just recompile and continue in the 32 bit version.

Q. If I own a copy of LabVIEW 32-bit, do I need to purchase a separate license for LabVIEW 64-bit?

A. Every customer who purchases LabVIEW 2009 or LabVIEW 2010 has a license for the 64-bit version.

Source