CLA Summit - who is going?

I'm assuming I'm supposed to reply here. I currently have permission to go and I just went ahead and registered. We'll see if I will really get to go. As far as OpenG, I currently am not using it for projects due to company rules about open source and third party code. I still find it to be a great resource though. I do have an interest in OpenG, whether using it or helping with development.

• Like 2

Crossrulz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This year we are trying something new at the US CLA Summit. There is a third day devoted for us to have work sessions. For the most part the topics of the work sessions will be determined based on what we learn on the first two days. However, I would like for there to have some options before the CLA Summit, so people are encouraged to stay for that third day.

One idea I had was to have one of that work session be about OpenG. Crossrulz, would you be interested in such a session?

I hope you do get to go, it is a great time for us LabVIEW fans ;)

Fab

• Like 1

I will be at both CLA Summits.

However the work sessions will only take place at the US CLA Summit.

Neil, I can let you know what we discussed at the US Summit when we meet at the UK one ;)

John and Crossrulz,

Thanks, I will keep you posted of what we would do on the third day for OpenG.

Thanks,

Fab

I will be at both summits. I am interested in OpenG.

Great! What is your interest in OpenG? What type of discussion would you like to have?

I will be at the Austin summit. I do not currently use OpenG.

Do you want to use it? Would NI let you use it?

My interest in OpenG is mostly as a "what is LV missing" point of view. For example, I have long coveted the OpenG array palette, wished that LV had those functions in vi.lib directly. Most of the OpenG palettes are better as add-on libraries, IMHO, but that one feels like core functionality, and I've certainly cobbled my own version of several of those functions. Some of the other OpenG tools/palettes I've seen over the years have highlighted places where you guys could have done an even better job if we had tweaked things a bit inside LV. If nothing else, they highlight the parts of LV that you guys are using the most, which are the areas we should probably be focusing on.

In the future, I may be more interested in OpenG as a user of the tools... I'm doing more G programming these days, and even a little bit on the side that isn't for NI projects. Just a smidge, but it's more than has been over the last decade.

Most VIs I write ship as the source code of NI product features. It's my understanding that including open-source VIs in those features would not be allowed.

Ah, that rules out the OpenG palettes, Darren, but not the OpenG tools, like some of their scripting accelerators. Edited by Aristos Queue

Surely* if it's a beta it should be called 2014b. ;)

Incidentally, here's a picture of an elevator control panel from China:

post-1431-0-19032100-1328199884.jpg

Can you spot the problem?

Chinese people are apparently very superstitious and the sound "4" (pronounced in Chinese of course) is close to the sound for death (or dead) so you won't find many fours in China.

One funny extent of that is that non-Chinese people leaving in China have cell phone numbers full of 4, because Chinese people refuse to have a number containing a 4.

I also heard that on her fourth pregnancy a Chinese woman would automatically have twins, but I'm not too sure about that one...

Chinese people are apparently very superstitious and the sound "4" ...

Exactly. One thing I like here is that 23 is missing as well. I guess that after 13 it was just easier to keep going like that? ;)

I also heard that on her fourth pregnancy a Chinese woman would automatically have twins, but I'm not too sure about that one...

How many Chinese women (in China) get to a fourth pregnancy?

I'll be in Austin. I'm interested in shared/open source code, but I don't regularly use OpenG. (Mainly because there are--imo--too many dependencies between packages.)

BTW, having never been to NI Week or an Architectural Summit, how do most people get from the airport to the hotel?

NI Week is at downtown Austin.

CLA Summit is at northwest Austin at NI's headquarters, farther from the airport.

I doubt there will be hotel shuttles from the airport, but you can ask your hotel.

Like JGcode mentioned, there are other shuttle companies that are cheaper. If you want to rent a car and share it with other attendees, I suggest you start a new discussion at the CLA Community page.

back to OpenG at the third day of the Summit.

It seems that if we do a working session it would have to be more about what it is, how we use it, limitations, and how we can get involved, correct?

I am not seeing replies from OpenG developers, so I am assuming a code review or future development discussion, like creation of an OpenG template or framework would be out for this session, correct?

Thanks,

Fab

I will be at the CLA summit wearing many hats. However, I would like to be present on the third day wearing my VIPM Product Manager hat at the OpenG discussion. Would like to hear about what improvements you would like to see in VIPM to facilitate better package building\installation and anything else you would like to bring up related to VIPM.

Of course I will be around the other two days as well. It will be a pleasure to see all of you. The Monday and Tuesday presentations seem really interesting.

• Like 1