Does anybody know what wcontrol service is on Windows XP

Hi,

A strange question this I am working on inherited code and there is a VI that issues either a

cmd /c Net Stop wcontrol or

cmd /c Net Start wcontrol

I know net stop /start works on a windows service but I have no idea idea what service this command is referring to, so just on an off chance anybody else come across it ?

I have looked in the admin services list on the PC in question and can find nothing there.

cheers

Danny

That link is a page explaining the net command. The user already knows what the command does. He's asking what the wcontrol service is, specifically.

If I'm not mistaken, the wcontrol service is one of the services for Symantec's Enterprise AntiVirus, having to do with the CCM Server. Whatever that is.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

BAH - though I knew what net stop did your link was interesting as there was a list of XP windows services on there

Saverio... cheers I did see some comment lying around near the call talking about CMM so you may well be on the right track

When I run this from the command line it tells me the service is not found, but this is not the original PC the code came from so who knows :-)

The original PC was installed and setup in Germany all my code comments are in German, the goodness for Goggle translate.

The translated comments imply they were trying to turn off MS updates uing long tests, but wcontrol will not do that time will tell me if the VI was trying to do something important.

Yeah, Goggle translate is a life saver. ;)

The Windows Update makes makes sense, but they almost always include the 'wu' abbreviation for those services.

OTOH, like Saverio says, it looks like it's related to an AV solution from Symantec. This would probably also be something you might want to stop during a long test.