So I filed a service request on this and NI has been helpful but I haven't managed to resolve it yet, so I'll post what I know here and maybe someone will have an answer. It appears from talking to NI that this may have been resolved in 2011. Currently I am using 2010 SP1, 32bit on Windows 7. Upgrading to 2011 may not be option. I'm looking into that.

Here is how I noticed the issue:

I was trying to deploy and run some code on an RT target. When I deployed the code it asked me to save a particular lvclass file. I hadn't changed the class, so I'm not sure why it wanted to save it. I clicked ok to save and got into this endless loop where it kept asking me to save it. Clicking cancel got me out of the loop, but then I couldn't deploy the app.

I thought maybe the class was corrupted so I tried to mass compile it and I got the following error: Fatal Internal Error at OMUDclasslinker.cpp line 4161.

I tried running the same code not on RT but within the regular LabVIEW environment and it ran fine.

I also noticed that: The save-all button is always enabled and everytime I click it and click on the show details button, it says that there have been changes to this particular class as well as its parent, even though I haven't changed anything. When I click save, this time I get no error, but afterwards the saveall button is still enabled. And the next time I click it the same thing happens.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you tried a forced recompile? Shift+Ctrl+click the Run arrow.

You also retry rewriting the class from scratch - I've read a number of posts where that was a solution, though the reason why it happened was still a mystery.

Have you tried opening on someone else's machine?

I don't know the technicalities, maybe someone else can chime in. I know that on a couple random occasions, I've had a broken arrow with no error listed and force compiling corrected the problem. LabVIEW must use iterative compiling, so maybe what's caused your constantly-unsaved state is some bit of state information not getting updated or something. Hard to say.

I don't have as much hope for it now, though, if re-writing the VI from scratch didn't help. The next step would be to start deleting stuff and see when the problem goes away.

I was able to upgrade to LV2011 SP1 and the problem went away. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it did work. I did not try the force recompile. At some point I may go back and do that just to see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice and help. And thanks for NI for pointing me in the right direction.