NI.ClassItem.State property?

A VI in a .lvclass file has a property NI.ClassItem.State of type "Int". Does anyone here know what that value represents?

Yes, this is a strange question. :-) We are trying to see if we can figure out a way to do merging with .lvclass files. This is the immediate problem. I don't know if we will be able to do a merge in every detail even if we resolve this particular problem. What we do see is that if we delete a method in the working copy and do a Diff (with TortoiseMerge, for the record), we can add the text for the relevant method (which is already on disk in the working copy for this test), but LabVIEW is unhappy (reports that the class is missing a VI) until we remove the VI we just surreptitiously added and then readd the VI through the LabVIEW interface. When we do that it has a different NI.ClassItem.State value. If we know what the value means we might be able to work around this issue....

This one always confused me. It seems to be different for each VI. But I never went and tracked down what it meant. Now that I went and tracked it down, it looks like we use it to help decide if we need to refresh the connection between the VI and the class. I'm going to check with some people who know LabVIEW Classes better. I think it's safe to overwrite those numbers, but I'm not entirely sure.

Mike, did you find anything?

I didn't dig too deeply, but I'm 95% sure that the worst thing that will happen is you might get an extra recompile when loading the VI. The remaining 5% is a suspicion that you'll get some wonky behavior in your class in terms of what VIs belong to a class that will get fixed when you change the VI in most ways that would require a recompile.

I'm pretty confident it's safe to overwrite that value.

Mike,

Thanks. In my first post I showed that if the number is a legacy number the class doesn't recognize the VI correctly. I'll have to try and force a recompile of the VI and see if that fixes it. Otherwise we need to get the number "correct" somehow, I think....

Paul