Draw Text at Point Clips Italic Text

mje

I have a UI element which is largely based off a picture rendered with the LabVIEW 2D picture VIs. I've run into a problem with Draw Text at Point.vi clipping text if rendered in italics. For example, pay attention to the P, D, Q, K, I, and V characters at the top of this image.

post-11742-0-05618600-1334551885_thumb.p

A simple snippet to play with that does shows the problem:

post-11742-0-20226100-1334552167.png

If you look at what makes Draw Text at Point.vi tick, it's just serial calls to Get Text Rect.vi and Draw Text in Rect.vi. It doesn't take much work to determine the real problem is that Get Text Rect.vi does not appear to properly calculate the text size when using italics.

Now if I switch to using Draw Text in Rect.vi directly and provide ample room to draw the text, I don't get clipping. But I need to know how big my text is to position it properly, map out mouse locations, etc...

Anyone worked around this before? I can't see what's going on under the hood of Get Text Rect.vi since it's password protected (not that those opcodes make much sense to me anyways).

-m

Quick note, I've tried generating a proper snippet a few times and for some reason the image never works. The metadata is intact though, if you drop it in a diagram everything is there.

I see that you generate your texts letter by letter. I'm not sure if it solves your problem, but if you put a space after at the end of each text generated with "Draw Text at Point", clipping disappears. Complete walkaround could be that you calculate size of text without the space, but draw it with one.

• Like 1

I have a UI element which is largely based off a picture rendered with the LabVIEW 2D picture VIs. I've run into a problem with Draw Text at Point.vi clipping text if rendered in italics. For example, pay attention to the P, D, Q, K, I, and V characters at the top of this image.

post-11742-0-05618600-1334551885_thumb.p

A simple snippet to play with that does shows the problem:

post-11742-0-20226100-1334552167.png

If you look at what makes Draw Text at Point.vi tick, it's just serial calls to Get Text Rect.vi and Draw Text in Rect.vi. It doesn't take much work to determine the real problem is that Get Text Rect.vi does not appear to properly calculate the text size when using italics.

Now if I switch to using Draw Text in Rect.vi directly and provide ample room to draw the text, I don't get clipping. But I need to know how big my text is to position it properly, map out mouse locations, etc...

Anyone worked around this before? I can't see what's going on under the hood of Get Text Rect.vi since it's password protected (not that those opcodes make much sense to me anyways).

-m

Quick note, I've tried generating a proper snippet a few times and for some reason the image never works. The metadata is intact though, if you drop it in a diagram everything is there.

The VI calls into the LabVIEW runtime itself and that function supposedly does use some platform specific interface (GDI on Windows) to calculate the bounding rectangle of a specific text. The issue you see with italic text actually happens when calling those Windows GDI functions.