LabVIEW Browser Control

I guess I hadn't thought about how NI would implement it.

A co-worker and I were talking about this and how we might be able to do ourselves just parsing the HTML and possibley using the picture control. A smiple HTML only web page might be doable, but with the varied compliance to the HTML standards, not to mention PHP, CGI, ASP, Java, Javascript, etc... and Microsofts version of HTML that Frontpage generates, there's just too many variables to make it fesible in our opinion.

You'd think they could license an HTML engine for each platform and come up with a new control that can display everything.

Sounds simple enough ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I think LabVIEW should have a Web Browser Control. This would allow us to embed any web code directly on a front panel and keep the application compatible across platforms.

(read that as No ActiveX needed)

If there's a way to do this already, please let me know.

Ed

2482[/snapback]

I think that a good first step would be to have cross-platform support for JavaBeans and Java classes within LabVIEW.

I think that a good first step would be to have cross-platform support for JavaBeans and Java classes within LabVIEW.

2703[/snapback]

How do you see that? goop that is talking to the beans, or beans who are talking to your labview program???

And why not corba or webservices? :lightbulb:

You can define an IDL, and implements it with goop or something like that. Than you can call the methods from Java via the ORB (Object Request Broker)...

• 11 months later...

I second this. I'd like to do some mapping and was looking at OpenMAP, which is in JAVA. I already have access to some example code that calls the ArcVIEW GIS software, but that is $$$, whereas an open source solution would be very nice.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to go in both directions. Anyone doing this type of Java-LabVIEW integration yet?

How do you see that? goop that is talking to the beans, or beans who are talking to your labview program???

And why not corba or webservices?

You can define an IDL, and implements it with goop or something like that. Than you can call the methods from Java via the ORB (Object Request Broker)...

There are so many java components, which are cross-platform by nature. If LabVIEW could embed/use these, then it would open up a lot of options.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the idea of a web browser control (kit?), other than Java I don't see any way currently. However, there are a few open source libraries, available in both DLLs and shared libraries. If you set the Call Library node to a relative path subdirectory for your library and end the library name with a wildcard labview will accept that:

mylibrary.*

It might be possible to do a cross platform parser driving a picture control, but it still seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth.

Back onto Java, has anyone tried to hook JNI into LabVIEW in a semi-generic way?