Anyone know how to tell a ring to resize to the size of its longest string?

Or is that just not possible to do? I'm specifically trying to find a way to do that to a System Ring control.

[EDIT] I post to LAVA... and that way, LabVIEW knows I've sufficiently embarrassed myself publicly with my lack of knowledge, and so now it can show me the answer.

There's a property that I *swear* was not in the pop up menu for the last half-hour called "Named Numeric Size" that I can use to resize the ring control. Not exactly what I wanted, but at least I can build it.

Grrr.

[EDIT] Just in case anyione else is looking for this...

post-5877-0-78654300-1337041750_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Mike5: The last property in my property node is the one I was talking about... but Mellroth's "Ring Text.Width" property is even better because you don't have to worry about the stupid "+ 30" that I'm doing to account for the ring.

Mellroth: Does yours work for "zero strings in the array"?

[EDIT] I post to LAVA... and that way, LabVIEW knows I've sufficiently embarrassed myself publicly with my lack of knowledge, and so now it can show me the answer.

For shame! Tsk, tsk.... A less polished version of Mellroth's solution was provided in a post all the way back in 2002 in the LabVIEW forums over at NI (I'm sure you know the place :D ): http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/how-can-i-make-a-ring-control-resize-itself-to-display-the-whole/m-p/47562/highlight/true#M30020

All tongue-in-cheek, of course.

I recall having some weirdness with "Get Text Rect" not working well with italic and bold fonts. I ended up padding by +(x)% of the width to make things 'pretty'...

Indeed: http://lavag.org/top...ps-italic-text/

The solution proposed by vugie however works: pad the string with a space.

Also I expect the ring control might have a minimum width, and if s trying to set 7px could return an error. Might be wise to enforce a minimum.