What is CAN device?

CAN Devices are DAQ devices or they do something else?

Anybody can help me.

I have seen USB8473 High speed can module. need to know more info about it general CAN devices functionality.

thanks

A CAN device can be just about anything. In Cars/Trucks - CAN devices are generally the different controllers; ECU, ABS etc.

But if you look at automation HW from Beckhoff, you'll find CAN devices that are more like DAQ devices.

/J

Anybody can help me.

I have seen USB8473 High speed can module. need to know more info about it general CAN devices functionality.

thanks

CAN is a communication protocol. Think of it like a Serial port (RS-232). For it to work you need a device that also speaks the same language (communication protocol). It is different from DAQ which measures (or outputs) a real world signal. A DAQ device can read voltage between two points. A CAN device can read CAN messages. If you don't have a device to talk to that can speak CAN, then the USB 8473 device will be useful to you.

Anybody can help me.

thanks

CAN is merely a communications interface like ethernet, RS232, RS 422, STANAG 1553 etc.

The USB8473 is a converter to enable you to connect to a device that has a CAN interface via the USB port of your computer.

If your application does end up communicating with CAN devices, note that NI's USB-8473 devices do not support NI-CAN's Channel API (you would need to use the Frame API or the Frame to Channel Conversion method, which are both somewhat more complicated -- See the LabVIEW help for NI-CAN).