Strangest LabVIEW crash on my computer

Hi Guys

I have the strangest LV crash on my computer, that I like to share to see if anybody else has seen this before.

It has to do with code (GDS in my case) that is running as a secondary provider to the Project Explorer. I've compiled the same version into all 6 versions of LabVIEW 2010,2011,2012 and 32 and 64 bit versions.

The crash only appears in all my 32 bit LV versions, not in the 64 bit versions.

LV just crashes when, in my case the UML modeller tries to do a simple tasks as displaying the "File Dialog" to let the user browse for a file.

It's definitely something fishy with my computer since it works on other computers.

I'm running a high spec Dell Alienware Laptop W7-64bit, 16G Ram.

Currently I've had to switch my development to 64 bit LabVIEW to continue.

But I'm afraid I have to use the Recover DVD that come with the computer to get it working again :-(

Try to install newest Visual C Redistributable. In my case crashes were appearing for File Dialog in the browser. I suppose that I installed something which had overwritten DLLs of this package with older versions. Installing whole the newest version of it helped.

Sounds like a library call problem. All later labview versions are extremely non-resilient to pointer failures. The fact that it works fine on x32 but not x64 kind of points to an invalid pointer being passed (usually passing a fixed size pointer rather than a pointer-sized). I don't know what the GDS is, but are there an CLNS in the code?

• Like 2

I don't know what the GDS is, but are there an CLNS in the code?

GDS or GOOP Development Suite. Have you heard of that?

If not, it's the OO add-on to the Project Explorer that make OO in LabVIEW so much nicer.

http://goop.endevo.n...os/GDSFeatures/

I have a TCP/IP listener running in the background of the Project Explorer window to receive commands when someone double clicks a file with the uml-extension from windows explorer.

(The same way VIPM links the vip file to the VIPM application).

I thought this was a probable cause of ii, but even if I removed that code I still got the problem :-(

Look for CLNs.

I thought you were referring to the network term CLNS (Connectionless Network Service), but you mean of course Call Library Function :-)

I'm avoiding those since I want it to be platform independent.

Shaun, I owe you a beer :-)

Come by Symbio’s booth at NI-week or catch me at NI-week.

You did put me in the right direction to solve the problem.

I'm not using any DLLs directly, but I'm using the Mouse Vis in the inputDevices.llb

Since These VIs don't work/exists on Mac or Linux, I have to create a wrapper around then and load then dynamically.

And just by disabling the code in this VI it worked.

I’ll see if I can figure out a different way of solving this.

post-941-0-46631200-1338279065_thumb.png

• Like 2